Plucking feet feathers out

Alisaviola

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2019
I have a 2 year old rooster with feet feathers, never had any issues until i got him 3 new young hens, they are so abstracted to his legs and feathers their causing him to bleed out. So we plucked the broken feathers out and put some antibiotics cream on him. I didnt have any bluekote so i put food grade food coloring all over his legs, because he has red scales on his big ole legs that they are pecking at too. It worked for one day. They again broken bleeding feathers. My question is can we just pluck all his feet feathers so they will stop trying to pull them out? All three new hens are doing this. We plucked one leg completely poor Roo. I have him separated from the hens but he is miserable. Should i give them more time or send the new hens back to the farm. I got them for him because he was down to one hen and she was taking a beating from his love. And when they first got together they fell in love with each other, he LOVES his girls. I hate to take them away but what to do..if i pluck all his feet feathers will they grow back?

Attachments

• 20210222_122557.jpg
    20210222_122557.jpg
    688.8 KB · Views: 58
I have a 2 year old rooster with feet feathers, never had any issues until i got him 3 new young hens, they are so abstracted to his legs and feathers their causing him to bleed out. So we plucked the broken feathers out and put some antibiotics cream on him. I didnt have any bluekote so i put food grade food coloring all over his legs, because he has red scales on his big ole legs that they are pecking at too. It worked for one day. They again broken bleeding feathers. My question is can we just pluck all his feet feathers so they will stop trying to pull them out? All three new hens are doing this. We plucked one leg completely poor Roo. I have him separated from the hens but he is miserable. Should i give them more time or send the new hens back to the farm. I got them for him because he was down to one hen and she was taking a beating from his love. And when they first got together they fell in love with each other, he LOVES his girls. I hate to take them away but what to do..if i pluck all his feet feathers will they grow back?
Don't pluck his feathers out

Back
Top Bottom