Pluses and minuses of welsummers

Will Whitmore of Whitmore Farm has great eggs. That's where my second batch of Wellies is from. I think his roos tend to have a lot of red in their chests, but I'm still trying to get a handle on how much red is preferred in this breed so they may be perfectly within standard.

I will have a coupla extra Whitmore cockerels in another coupla months, but I'll probably be keeping all the pullets. And ifn ya wanted to order eggs from him and get me to incubate em, I'd probably add a few more to your order for me too!

ETA: There's also a BYC member, member name poultrylady, down by Sweetwater, who sells Wellies. She is supposed to have nice birds, but I haven't seen the birds or eggs myself. You should go check em out!

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif
Welsummers are great, I really like mine.
thumbsup.gif

I hatched out one roo from eggs from poultrylady. The hatch was poor because the box was damaged coming from the PO. I honestly was shocked I got at least one. He hatched in December, so is still young. I will try to get pictures updated of him. The eggs were very dark from poultrylady, but she only sells chicks this time of year I believe. You would have to contact her. I also have young babies from a lady in Houston who has a line she claims is a Lowel Barber line. The eggs were dark, but I wanted chicks, so I picked them up. I only ended up with three pullets and three roos. Will gladly give two extra roos away as I figure I need to keep on and the poultrylady roo also. I believe the Houston lady also ebays, but I bought them from her off craigslist.

Would love to have opinions on my birds, but being so young it is hard to see what they really will be in the end I am sure.

I've actually been to poultry lady's place and saw the wellies but didn't know what I was looking at! I couldn't have told good ones from hatchery at that point. She's a really neat lady.

After the mix up with the bantam eggs Ione, maybe I'd better go on down to poultry lady's place. <chuckle> You want some if I go that way to try out??? I love the drive down to Dandridge it's gorgeous.

Only if they are really nice when you see em.

Here's my eggs from Whitmore, for comparison -- the Whitmore eggs are on the left. Unfortunately, the pic really doesn't show the extent of their gorgeousness, but you can compare em with my own wellie eggs.

wellieandbarnieeggs--2-12-09--2small.jpg

The eggs on the bottom line of that pic are the same eggs as in the following pic.Notice that Will's eggs are a good bit darker than they are:

Wellieeggs--12-01-08--roundsmall.jpg

I can see why you got Whitmore eggs.
smile.png
I've got to get in the turkey and SQ rock eggs but after that I think I might just go that way.
smile.png

And there are those dang banties to straighten out. LOL

Hey -- I tried to get you to order some of Whitmore's Delaware eggs when I got my Wellies from him. But did you listen to me??? Noooooooooo, of course not........

wink.png

What can I say, I'm a wicked slow learner.
lau.gif
he.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

These Dels are hoot. Even if I don't keep these - I'm very into the breed, I can see the potential.

The girls are turning out quite friendly even if I feel like stapling them to a wall now and then - boing zzzzooooooooooooooom. They haven't outgrown demented popcorn stage, I'm beginning to think that may be a forever thing.

My sell off cash is slowly building back up. Once it hits a nice amount I'm buying again.

Now that I've been thoroughly assimilated playing with other breeds, to see what I love just makes sense.

There are a few breeders worthwhile mentioning in the Yahoo Welsummer website. If you wanna join, go sign up in there and read thru all the posts when you have time. We have a members list and breeder's list. You do NOT have to own Welsummers to join the Club. Besides, its FREE!

You can post what you are looking for and I am sure a few will chime in.

There are many more Welsummer breeders and owners out there, but they are hiding behind the curtains for now!
lol.png

I have two from a larger hatchery. They probably don't lay the darkest of eggs but they lay as consistently as any of my other girls. Mine are pretty friendly and quiet. I'll be getting more someday.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom