Plymouth barred rock - another pullet/roo thread

Austinite

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Well, we're new chicken owners - we just built our coop over the last 3 weekends. We got two chicks that were one week old (a Buff Orpington and a Plymouth Rock Barred) and then an 8-week old Ameracauna yesterday. All were sold as females. It's the Plymouth barred rock that I'm wondering about. Pictures below. Ah RATS, it turns out I can't post pictures/URLs as a new member. Well, I guess I'll just describe it then. :-(

The barred rock (4.5 weeks old now) started growing its comb VERY quickly about a week ago. Our buff orpington has far less comb. However, in favor of pullet-hood, the barred rock has very dark legs and the plumage looks like the dark pullets I've seen posted on similar threads - not at all like the more silvery or grey cockerels. And this one's comb, while pronounced, is yellowish. I suppose there might be some pink at the base but that looks like the bird's skin or something.

Anyway, sorry I can't post pics yet. I was hoping for advice early on. In general, can pullets of certain breeds grow their comb way early compared to other breeds and still be pullets?

Sounds like a pullet to me. Plymouth rock hens also have combs and waddles. All my rock chicks grew combs and waddles and they are definately not all roosters
smile.png

OK, here are some pictures finally. The first pic is of the barred rock when he was a week old or less (the other one in that pic is our buff orpington). The next couple are at 4.5-5 weeks. Notice the dark legs, which I think points to pullet. And the feathering is pretty dark compared to roo pictures i've seen. So we're HOPING we have a hen. We can't have roosters - the usual story.

92334_birdies.jpg

92334_photo1.jpg

92334_photo2.jpg

My barred rock looks exactly like this too. I was unsure at first, because she grew so much bigger than her cousins, and had a comb before them too, even though they were all the same age. But wont roosters grow tail feathers that stick upright? Mine doesnt have any of those, so Im hoping its a hen! I know even the hens will also have a comb, just not as large as the roos. Sorry, wish I could be of more help, but Im in the same situation as you are!
lol.png

I am not an expert, but your chick in the baby picture had a nice white spot on it's head and in the last picture, is really dark which both says pullet. My 3 are the same age and they are getting the same combs. Good luck!

Quote:
X2. My Rocks grew combs faster than the other 2 breeds I bought, but the combs haven't grown much in size since then and they look like the pics above. I was worried they were roos until someone posted a pic of a roo at the same age as my girls and there was an obvious difference in combs.

Quote:
Hope so! We're in the city and neighbors are close, so no roos for us.

That's so interesting...my barred rock pullet has the same dark feet, and more darker feathers than light, but her comb isn't that big...she is just under 5 weeks old. I agree, I think you have a hen, though, but I'm a newb.

Based on your name, you in Austin, TX? I am in south Austin.

edited to add: I got paranoid and had to go out and check my girls and take a good look at their combs...I notice the BR is bigger than my BO, but the Rhode Island Red seems to have the largest comb of all of them...however, of all the chicks, she has been the most docile and calm.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom