Plymouth Barred Rock dies suddenly!?!?!?!

paigemc

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
We lost a hen last night and I am quite confused as to what happened. We have 2 hens the barred rock and an ameraucana, both very healthy. The barred rock was a great egg layer.....rarely missed a day. Last night my husband came to get me because he said she was dying. By time I got to the garage she was gone. He said he heard some rustling around and when he turned to look she was laying down on her side. He had just opened the garage door and pulled the scooter out. They are used to the door being opened and all the activity of the garage. But I think somehow it startled her this time and she either hit her head or broke her own neck????? She was perfectly fine all day long and then was suddenly gone. Like within 1 minute gone!

I'm just looking for opinions on this. The ameraucana seems to be just fine today......if not a little sad/lost......the barred rock was the boss.

Has anyone heard this before? I think breaking her own neck seems to be a stretch......but has anyone ever heard of a head injury??

Thanks Everyone!!!

Paige

They die for many unknown reasons suddenly. Being startled could have set yours off. Had a sudden death last fall. I just gathered the eggs and picked up one of the EE's blue eggs. Got the walk behind mower out to do the trimming, went from the front of the barn to the side with the run and there she was laying there on her back. Five minutes max. Never did figure out how, not a broken neck though, unless it was right at the skull. She wasn't a year old yet but it could have been she got worked up over the mower and burst a blood vessel or bumped her head hard.

Back
Top Bottom