Plymouth Rock losing feathers around neck - what does this mean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggswithlegs11, Oct 17, 2018.

1. eggswithlegs11

eggswithlegs11 Hatching

Oct 8, 2018
    Hi, I've noticed that my Plymouth rock is losing feathers around her neck. I searched up chicken bullying (as there are two other hens that live with her) and I saw that it typically meant pulling tail feathers out first. Because it was her neck feathers going, and she still has all her tail feathers, I thought it might not be bullying, but she might be scratching too hard around her neck. Is this common? Any way I can help her out? She's only a couple of years old, and I have never seen the other hens bully her.

2. drewpyd85

drewpyd85 In the Brooder

Sep 21, 2017
    following

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Is she molting or are they pecking her at night on the Roost?. Do you have a Rooster?

4. eggswithlegs11

eggswithlegs11 Hatching

Oct 8, 2018
    I don't have a rooster. I'm not sure what chicken malting really looks like. I can see her pink skin, is that supposed to happen?

chickens really likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Yes..They can get pretty bald looking when they molt. Generally they stop laying eggs too till after the molt.

6. eggswithlegs11

eggswithlegs11 Hatching

Oct 8, 2018
    Thanks! How long does malting take? I'm just wondering, if it goes on for much longer should I be worried?

7. RichardTheRooster

RichardTheRooster In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2018
    Western New York
    all chickens go at their own pace for molting. Just wait and see she should he fine the first molt is pretty scary for a new chicken owner.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is she about 18 months old?
    Typical time for the first full adult molt.
    You should see new pin feathers emerging soon.
    Molt can take a couple months or more, all birds molt at different rates.
    Offering extra protein, especially animal protein, can help them grow new feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: