Plymouth Rock thread!

We have introduced a digital scale in our bantam breeding programs. We may not win everytime at the shows, but we will start showing bantams of the correct size.

Now our large fowl.....as long as they are productive, we will leave the size alone.

Quote:
If they have a job as a butcher in real life, they may be good at knowing what weights of the birds are, but the rest of us can only guess. I don't think the average poultry judge can tell if a bird is over/under 20%. We could guess, but judging is not supposed to be about guessing. My observation is: Too small=bad thing in large fowl. Too large in large fowl=good thing. Too small in bantams=good thing. Too large in bantams=bad thing. This is not right, but it seems to be a common judging practice.

Walt

Quote:
This makes sense to me - thanks for this basic, "down to earth" explanation, Walt.

I wonder - this has probably been asked many times before, but has the APA considered weighing the reserve & champion birds only? If they fall in the "20% rule" then an alternate would need to be chosen? Sort of like at a car race, where only the top finishers go through tech inspection?
wink.png

Quote:
This makes sense to me - thanks for this basic, "down to earth" explanation, Walt.

I wonder - this has probably been asked many times before, but has the APA considered weighing the reserve & champion birds only? If they fall in the "20% rule" then an alternate would need to be chosen? Sort of like at a car race, where only the top finishers go through tech inspection?
wink.png

It's been discussed. It always comes around to this: If one bird is weighed they all need to be weighed. As far as oversized Rocks.......when they get too big, they start to have serious leg problems and this seems to regulate the breed somewhat.

Walt

I would like to show how much my partridge rock rooster bill has change since I have put his pic up here last. He got in a fight with another roo so his main sickle feathers are missing and he messed his comb up
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well
idunno.gif
. Anyway he is still very pretty, and (to me at least) he has that "rock shape".
83676_048.jpg

this pic is a little blurry, I am going to try and get better pics.
83676_016.jpg

Hi Chicken farmer.\\\\

Your roo looks pretty good to me . . . no permanent damage . . . maybe the other rooster looks worse:D

I am keeping 3 sppr roosters from a spring hatch and I haven't seen them argue yet; they are seperated from the pullets. Hope they keep the peace until spring when I plan to mate them with different pens of hens.

No snow that stays on the ground yet, but I'm expecting it any day. Got my studded snow tires installed yesterday, wood shed is full and furnace oil delivered today. I'm ready;)

My cockerals are all getting along fine. About what age will I start having problems? There is one 1.5- two year old cock in the mix here. He seems pretty docile.

2c7e46de.jpg

Back
Top Bottom