Plymouth Rock thread!

I got mine from My Heatly thru our local feed store. They do orders from them for 20 years. Mine are laying well. I got them end of May and right now we are up to 15 layers out of 22. We are getting avg about a dozen a day right now give or take.

I just saw today the Superior Farms took Columbian Rocks LF and bantams & SPR LF (I think) off their list on their website. Guess I will try Columbian Wyandottes this year and wait until someone here finds some Columbian Rocks! I can't believe no one is breeding them. There are several places to get Columbian bantams, but I want the big ones this year.

Quote:
ME TOO!!

I'm gonna take on a project to "re-create" them stateside. I am trying to find a good, typey Light Brahma roo and I am going to breed him to my "columbian rock mixed hens" and also my barred and black rock hens and CULL like crazy until I re-create the Columbian rocks....hopefully in a year or so, I'll get close

I'll be waiting............The thought of breeding them (like they originally were created) crossed my mind, but I don't have the know how, the space or the understanding husband, so I'll let you do it! Here's wishing you the best. I just can't believe they are the only rock not well represented. Keep us updated.

Quote:
I was on their waiting list for months last year for the LF Partridge Rocks. They were having issues with them not laying enough and or fertility. After speaking to another breeder who was thinking of selling out her SQ PR because of the same problem, I am thinking that maybe hatchery stock is going to be a better bet for me. I am not a show person....only someone who keeps chickens for eggs. I have heard that some of the hatchery ones are not bad. Now I just have to finish my coop alterations and additions.

Quote:
I was on their waiting list for months last year for the LF Partridge Rocks. They were having issues with them not laying enough and or fertility. After speaking to another breeder who was thinking of selling out her SQ PR because of the same problem, I am thinking that maybe hatchery stock is going to be a better bet for me. I am not a show person....only someone who keeps chickens for eggs. I have heard that some of the hatchery ones are not bad. Now I just have to finish my coop alterations and additions.

That's why I decided to get hatchery Columbian Wyandottes. I just love the pattern and since NO hatchery has Columbian Rocks, I will try Wyandottes. Many people love them, so since I've have never bred chickens anyway, I'll just keep some for a laying flock. My Silver Penciled Rock bantams from Murray McMurray are very pretty and have a lot of the breed characteristics, as far as I can tell. They are the cutest little birds. I would love breeder birds, but didn't have any luck with that last year, so I will just order from a hatchery and enjoy my birds. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Yard full o' rocks :

Quote:
ME TOO!!

I'm gonna take on a project to "re-create" them stateside. I am trying to find a good, typey Light Brahma roo and I am going to breed him to my "columbian rock mixed hens" and also my barred and black rock hens and CULL like crazy until I re-create the Columbian rocks....hopefully in a year or so, I'll get close

I have a Orp/Wyandotte cross roo I was considering a project with...creole orps. I was wondering how long it would take to get the comb back to a single comb if I did cross. Not to get off the Plymouth Rock topic, but it would also be a consideration from Brahma to Rock and the same comb issue. I am not show breeder ... nor do I own a Standard for Poultry, but I think my guy is very similar in build to our Black Orpington roos so we have that much.​

Are barred rock's feet suppose to be Yellow? If not what other colors do they exhibit? Here is a photo of my 19 weeks old rooster named Sully.

43725_img_0178_02.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom