Plymouth Rock thread!

I'm aware of the sexing of chicks by the spot or markings on the head, but how accurate is the leg color on chicks to determine sex. I've read that dark fronts on the legs implies female.

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone. My name is Christy and I wanted to join this thread and share my 9 lovely barred rock peeps.

From the looks of it 3 are cockerels and 6 are pullets. I will post images later once I can get them a photo shoot again.

My first 3 turned out to be pullets all dark plumage, my fiance and I bought them at the beginning of the month, then a week later we got 6 more, 3 out of that six turned out really light compared to everyone else. Also one of those six is stunted and he is almost three weeks old and looks only two weeks maybe a week and a half. Which concerns me id hate to loose him.

Barred rock rooster question. How loud do they get? I know each bird has its own personality. My city won't allow roosters. I hatched some eggs and got a rooster. I know some hens will crow if there is no rooster, so I am wondering how much more do the roosters crow? The city across the street allows them, so I am thinking maybe I can "hide" mine. Not a lot of cities allow them and many that do around here use them to cock fight so I am afraid to give him away. He is about 8 weeks and hasn't started to crow yet. Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks!

Your daughter holding him in the pic made me think to tell you also along with the crowing, which yes does get loud, most roos also have a temperament change when they start maturing. Of course all are different, but most no longer have a desire to have humans around their ladies!!
Good luck with finding that guy a new home!

When he matures, it will be LOUD.   He may not start to crow until 5-6 mo. of age. Thanks. He has been crowing for a few weeks and is starting to get the hang of it. We did find him a home...I'm stalling to give him up though...
1f625.png

Your daughter holding him in the pic made me think to tell you also along with the crowing, which yes does get loud, most roos also have a temperament change when they start maturing. Of course all are different, but most no longer have a desire to have humans around their ladies!!
Good luck with finding that guy a new home!

Any suggestions on why this little man is so small?
He is roughly two and a half weeks old, my fiance bought them for me on the 9th of March along with 7 others. I also had a flock of 6 at home. But this one is worrying me with how he isnt growing. My other 2 week olds are getting huge and feathering out where as he isnt.
My first set are almost a month old and they are almost fully feathered minus a few spots here and there.

I see him eating and drinking, he poo's normally just really small and always has a scowl on his face.

this is with a clutch mate of the same age

this is with a same aged Buff Orp

I will get more photo's of everyone after duckling bath time

@MartinsPoultry, I doubt that anything is wrong with him, just maturing a little slower so far. I believe males tend to mature slower than females also. How about activity/behavior with the others? He does have a little scowl, reminds me of that guy from Despicable Me lol.

Back
Top Bottom