Plymouth Rock thread!

Hi all, My Barred Plymouth Rocks are 3 1/2 months old. Today they have obvious waddles... Yesterday they did not... do they just drop over night? Yesterday they had a big scare in the yard as the neighbors cat popped out of nowhere at them. It was like chicken fireworks. Could the big scare have caused the sudden growth spurt? Is that a silly question? I have noticed that their faces and combs get really red when they are mad or nervous. That's why I ask.

This is no help, but the thought nearly made coffee come out of my nose.

"That cat scared the waddles right out of them" Lol.

I don't think that would make a difference, but I'm the same person who thought my rooster was a hen with sunburn because her comb went from nude to red in an afternoon. I'm not always a reliable source.

Edited to change waffles to waddles. Thanks auto correct.

Last edited:
Hi all, My Barred Plymouth Rocks are 3 1/2 months old. Today they have obvious waddles... Yesterday they did not... do they just drop over night? Yesterday they had a big scare in the yard as the neighbors cat popped out of nowhere at them. It was like chicken fireworks. Could the big scare have caused the sudden growth spurt? Is that a silly question? I have noticed that their faces and combs get really red when they are mad or nervous. That's why I ask.
No, they don't drop overnight.
smile.png
Sometimes, you can even see them on chicks. You have to look VERY closely, though. It's not a silly question, I actually thought it was rather an intelligent observation! Are they hatchery birds (i.e., did they come from your local TSC or Family Farm & Home)? If so, they are reaching what we call "POL" or point of lay; that could be why you are suddenlty seeing them turning quite red. That's a sign that laying is not far off.

"That cat scared the waffles right out of them" Lol.

I don't think that would make a difference, but I'm the same person who thought my rooster was a hen with sunburn because her comb went from nude to red in an afternoon. I'm not always a reliable source.

scared the waffles right out of them...can't say as I've ever heard that one! Thanks for the smile!

I've come up with stupid things like the sunburned wattles as well (ever see dogs lock? Uhh.. first time I did, it was the coldest day I remember, and I thought it was like sticking your tongue to a pole).

Don't feel too embarrassed ;)

PS: LOL @ your comment.

I doubt that is the reason. Maybe the OP is just extra observant after the attack?

Haha! I seriously thought that happened LOL! I coulda sworn they didn't have them the day before! I picked them up and gave them a little tug. Couldn't believe my eyes! Makes them look really pretty with the red white black contrast.

I am picturing them all in cartoon form with Tom the cat from Tom & Jerry jumping out at them, and the little red wattles come popping out with the explosion of them all scattering! LOL!!!
lau.gif

No, they don't drop overnight.
smile.png
Sometimes, you can even see them on chicks. You have to look VERY closely, though. It's not a silly question, I actually thought it was rather an intelligent observation! Are they hatchery birds (i.e., did they come from your local TSC or Family Farm & Home)? If so, they are reaching what we call "POL" or point of lay; that could be why you are suddenlty seeing them turning quite red. That's a sign that laying is not far off.

scared the waffles right out of them...can't say as I've ever heard that one! Thanks for the smile!
Yes they are hatchery birds. Would they really lay this early? I got them the first week in April or the last week in March. They are still under 4 months... Good lord!
The fact it auto corrected to "waffles" makes it even better. I think I need to stay off BYC until coffee has had a chance to kick in.
I like the Waffles!
big_smile.png
Can you picture it?

Hatchery birds are bred for different reasons that the heritage-type birds. Mostly they're bred at hatcheries for production. I buy a few hatchery layers each spring, as they're the only ones that will lay for me all winter long her in Michigan, and I do not believe in using artificial light. Those hatchery/production layers usually begin laying at 16-18 weeks, even though I try to slow them down by feeding a bit lower protein from 8 weeks to those first eggs. I prefer my chickens to mature slowly. I have found there are less laying issues later on, such as prolapse, internal laying, etc.

The wattles/combs turning red are just one of the signs of 'impending' laying - it doesn't mean they'll begin laying immediately upon turning red, it's just an indicator that it won't be too much longer.

This is so helpful to know! My Barred Rocks are from Privett Hatchery in NM because they were closest to us and we had never had chicks shipped before. They are my first chickens and I have been so happy with them. Now of course, I want to become a bit more serious and am looking at Heritage birds for my next additions...
My BRs came in mid-March and I have been on "egg watch" for over two weeks! Can you tell me what % of protein you are feeding your layers? It just makes sense to keep growth slow, it is what I have to do with my Borzoi pups!
Thanks and here is a photo of two of my girls!

So you already know there are benefits to slow growth - so many folks are just so excited for those first eggs, they'll go ahead and feed them layer feed, which has calcium in it, much too early. The feed companies don't help in this regard, as the bags will tell you to being feeding layer feed at 18 weeks. I wait until I see the very first egg in each hatch. In fact, I will often continue feeding NON layer feed if they are a bit too young in my opinion, and just leave a bowl of oyster shell for them to eat free choice. It's said that the ones who need it will eat it, and those that do not, won't. I am unsure whether that's true or not.

I feed a flock-raiser type feed (18% protein) to all of my layers, with a protein boost (I am currently using Purina fish chow, which is 32% protein) mixed in to up the total protein percentage to about 22%. I strongly believe that once they are laying, they require more protein. Before then, however, I feed the flock raiser feed alone, which is lower protein than chick feed. So, at about 8-10, sometimes 12 weeks, I switch from chick feed to the flock raiser. For adults (hens laying and males as well), I prefer to feed the flock raiser type feed as it does not have extra calcium in it, like layer feeds do. The extra calcium isn't needed for males, and can damage organs if fed to birds that are not fully developed yet. So, giving a bowl with oyster shell separately, free-choice, allows them to eat what they need, separately from their feed.

This works for me and is simple; but everyone has different comfort levels on how much they're willing to put into feeding. I would love to have the time to mix my own feed, grow greens for them, ferment feed....but I simply do not, and the above system works well for me.

So you already know there are benefits to slow growth - so many folks are just so excited for those first eggs, they'll go ahead and feed them layer feed, which has calcium in it, much too early. The feed companies don't help in this regard, as the bags will tell you to being feeding layer feed at 18 weeks. I wait until I see the very first egg in each hatch. In fact, I will often continue feeding NON layer feed if they are a bit too young in my opinion, and just leave a bowl of oyster shell for them to eat free choice. It's said that the ones who need it will eat it, and those that do not, won't. I am unsure whether that's true or not.

I feed a flock-raiser type feed (18% protein) to all of my layers, with a protein boost (I am currently using Purina fish chow, which is 32% protein) mixed in to up the total protein percentage to about 22%. I strongly believe that once they are laying, they require more protein. Before then, however, I feed the flock raiser feed alone, which is lower protein than chick feed. So, at about 8-10, sometimes 12 weeks, I switch from chick feed to the flock raiser. For adults (hens laying and males as well), I prefer to feed the flock raiser type feed as it does not have extra calcium in it, like layer feeds do. The extra calcium isn't needed for males, and can damage organs if fed to birds that are not fully developed yet. So, giving a bowl with oyster shell separately, free-choice, allows them to eat what they need, separately from their feed.

This works for me and is simple; but everyone has different comfort levels on how much they're willing to put into feeding. I would love to have the time to mix my own feed, grow greens for them, ferment feed....but I simply do not, and the above system works well for me.
thumbsup.gif
I wanted to give you an ovation, but seems I can't.

I always feed non-layer to them with oyster shell on the side, as I always have roosters and young birds around. I feed unmedicated starter (18% protein) with lots of scrap meat.

My layers (just red sex links) started laying at 22 weeks and I was really happy with that. They had time to mature and grow the way they should before starting their career.

Back
Top Bottom