Plymouth Rock thread!

Black Panther when I got the chance to get a trio of these birds brought in from Canada I had two people to choose from. One with some large fowl experience but did not take the care of the birds as well as Scott. Sometimes your choice is how did they raise their feed store birds rather can they raise fancy Standard Breed H chickens. The proof was it worked and we worked togeather
and in three years look at the results. One day someone is going to show a nice female and get on Champion Row somewhere.

Now the next step is don't be afraid. We have been down this path and you just breed for shape or type the first few years as a beginner. Just say yes. You will not regret it That's why we are here to help you nubies. Where you a lurker once? Now you are a poster. No you need to be a foster parent for a rare H breed.
X 2 !!!!
Scott and Bob and (many more peeps on this and other threads) on here can mentor you through, I would bet
wink.png

When we were kids we had a pet chicken. She would watch the dog play fetch and run after the ball with him. So I got her a bouncy ball and she would chase, and retrieve, the bouncy ball, while the dog retrieved the tennis ball. Yup, that's right, my chicken played fetch.
tongue2.gif
So I totally think you could teach yours to play soccer!
lau.gif
hahahhaa

As for the hatching eggs I am just hoping for the best. Here is a link to a video of my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks at 4 1/2 months old. Notice at the start of the of the video the cockerel at his natural stance. In my opinion he has the correct type for his age and I also feel at 4 1/2 months old he has more filling out to do. Pictures can be misleading so I hope this video helps.
smile.png

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/silverrock1974/media/VID_20130831_192020_zpscea285d2.mp4.html
so handsome....

heeellllloooo...
I have been lurking for a bit, and I have a question.
I have 2 partridge barred rock pullets that are 25 weeks each, still no eggs from those silly chickens...what age have most starting to lay????
the combs reddened up about 3-4 weeks ago.

Beautiful birds. Love the look.

True bred Rocks take a LOT longer than most hatchery stock. Those girls don't even look close, which is to be expected with better bred birds. Our GSBR/XW Barred Rocks often take 30-36 weeks. Hang in there, and enjoy them. The eggs will come.
This is a older photo, they have very red combs now....but that makes me feel much better. Thank you!!!!!

It would help if my current hens would stop going broody!!!

Back
Top Bottom