Plymouth Rock thread!

http://www.jefferspet.com/product.a...Heated+Metal+Base+for+Metal+Poultry+Fountains

When I lived in Wisconsin many years ago I used something like this. It kept the water from freezing . Sometimes I would just empty the water at about 9 pm on my finsal rounds to the barn and lock the birds up in their 4x2 foot roost room. Got down to 20 below. Then in the Am I got up and let them out put water in the metal water container. I had timers coming on at 8 am to heat the heathers and then the timers would go off at about 8:30 pm. Worked good for me on the super cold nights. Some nights did not need to do it and of course as it got closer to spring and warmer weather did not use them at all. It is a must if you live in the Midwest or the North County. They got to have water. Hope this helps you. bob

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/les-farms-the-barn-of-all-barns

Want to see one of the finest Poultry Buildings I ever saw. Its like the Holiday Inn Express for Poultry.

First class for the super cold weather. Can be modified for us who may not be as cold but great floor plans non the less. bob
Bob, I sure appreciate that :) That is my barn. Very very expensive, but the insurance covered most of it. Only went $5,000 over.. Was worth it to have everything exactly as we wanted it.

I've never had an insulated barn before. I hope it keeps water from freezing so quickly.

Bob, I sure appreciate that :) That is my barn. Very very expensive, but the insurance covered most of it. Only went $5,000 over.. Was worth it to have everything exactly as we wanted it.

I've never had an insulated barn before. I hope it keeps water from freezing so quickly.
Gorgeous and functional setup!!!!
Were you able to determine the cause of fire in the old barn? Heat lamps/outlets??
Sorry for your loss...glad it's behind you.

Gorgeous and functional setup!!!!
Were you able to determine the cause of fire in the old barn? Heat lamps/outlets??
Sorry for your loss...glad it's behind you.
It was electrical. They could not determine what caused it, but the point of origin was around the fuse box. I stupidly stored my hay within a foot of it, as well as used a lot of extension cords to run my water heaters AND heat lamps. The heat lamp I was using to heat the chicks in the brooder was properly attached, so it did not fall and cause the fire.. but my theory is that the extension cords used to plug the heat lamp in was the cause. This is why I put 30 outlets in the new barn. If I need to use electricity, I am never going to use extension cords again.

Thank you. The loss was devastating, both financially and emotionally, but we are pulled through.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom