Plymouth Rock thread!

That is one of the best looking penciled cockerels I've seen. The lines that are shown here have beautiful pullets but sad looking featherless boys. How is your female penciling? Just my novice thought but if your cockerel has good plumage perchance the hens are lacking in "paint" of that variety. But then that's why there are separate breeding pens- to keep the female and male lines apart for show. Looks like a male line to me. And a beaut at that.

Thank you Egghead Jr for the nice words on my SPPR cockerel. The penciling in my Horstman line pullets do have the very heavy black penciling making them look dark as what you would want to see in a Cockerel breeding line. My Padgett line pullets as of right now looks to be much lighter penciling. I do plan in the future to use the Double Mating System "cockerel breeding line / pullet breeding line" to get the more correct color that the Standard calls for.

I got the weight on my Padgett line Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks today. I will post the weigh of both Padgett & Horstman lines so that they can be compared.Below is the weights to my Padgett & Horstman lines at 11 weeks old.

11 week old chicks Padgett line "Weights got 12/3/2013"
K001- 2lb. 9oz
K002- 2lb. 8oz
K003- 3lb. 3oz
K004- 3lb. 0oz
P005- 2lb. 3oz
P006- 2lb. 5oz
P007- 2lb. 4oz
P008- 2lb. 4oz
P009- 2lb. 2oz
P010- 1lb. 15oz
P011- 2lb. 0oz has a few feather stubs down her shanks and will be culled this weekend.

11 week old chicks Horstman line "Weights got 7/4/2013"
K001- 3lb. 6oz
K002- 2lb. 8oz "has been culled"
K003- 2lb. 10oz "has been culled"
K004- 2lb. 6oz "has been culled"
K005- 2lb. 5oz "has been culled"
K006- 2lb. 4oz "has been culled"
K007- "was culled very early"
P008- 2lb. 2oz "has been culled"
P009- 2lb. 5oz
P010- 2lb. 5oz
P011- 2lb. 0oz "has been culled"
P012- 1lb. 13oz "has been culled"

I got the weights below on my Horstman line 11/28/2013 . They hit 7 months old on 11/16/2013.
K001- 8lb. 9oz
P009- 5lb. 8oz
P010- 5lb. 7oz
If you don't mind me bothering you with my questions I have a few about culling. With your birds only being 11 weeks old what did you look at to know they need to be culled? Also what did you do with the culled birds? That's the thing that gets me about culling that early. Not much of a carcass there to bother with eating. Do I just cull and then flop them in the field to feed the wild life?

If you don't mind me bothering you with my questions I have a few about culling. With your birds only being 11 weeks old what did you look at to know they need to be culled? Also what did you do with the culled birds? That's the thing that gets me about culling that early. Not much of a carcass there to bother with eating. Do I just cull and then flop them in the field to feed the wild life?

Here is the rundown on my Dick Horstman SPPR passed culling process. K = cockerel P = pullet and the number is just a number I give each chick so that I can identify it from the others on my spreadsheet.
Only one chick was culled before the 11 week of age as I culled K007 at 3 weeks of age for being very small and just not as active as the other chicks. At 12 weeks of age I culled K002 for having to much rust coloring in the shoulder area. At 14 weeks of age I culled P012 for being somewhat knock-kneed & not keeping up in size with the other pullets. At 16 weeks of age I culled K004, K005 & K006 for not keeping up in weight & overall size. At 20 weeks of age I culled K003 for being 2 lbs. lighter in weight than K001. At 28 weeks of age I culled P008 & P011 for lack of size & having cushion problems.
For me early culls are buried to keep the predators down.

Last edited:
I've got some old photos (wish I knew who to credit them) and I enjoy reading the old poultry journals, on line, from that era and earlier. I adore those "light" birds as they were bred then. I just don't see them anymore. Too bad. We don't see crisp barring where the white bars are large or wide, so to speak. In my mind's eye, that's what gives the "light" birds we once had in the US their spectacular appearance.
I seen this picture when you posted it but really looked at It close tonight. The chickens really look good . Looks like they have some weight to them. Would be nice to find some like that. Scott

Here is the rundown on my Dick Horstman SPPR passed culling process. K = cockerel P = pullet and the number is just a number I give each chick so that I can identify it from the others on my spreadsheet.
Only one chick was culled before the 11 week of age as I culled K007 at 3 weeks of age for being very small and just not as active as the other chicks. At 12 weeks of age I culled K002 for having to much rust coloring in the shoulder area. At 14 weeks of age I culled P012 for being somewhat knock-kneed & not keeping up in size with the other pullets. At 16 weeks of age I culled K004, K005 & K006 for not keeping up in weight & overall size. At 20 weeks of age I culled K003 for being 2 lbs. lighter in weight than K001. At 28 weeks of age I culled P008 & P011 for lack of size & having cushion problems.
For me early culls are buried to keep the predators down.
Alright, thanks. I probably will only try to cull a little heavier with my cockerels next year. Pullets can easily be sold as laying hens around here so no sense in wasting them. I want to really keep good weight records next year so I can compare everyone's weights to scrap the smaller ones sooner.

Alright, thanks. I probably will only try to cull a little heavier with my cockerels next year. Pullets can easily be sold as laying hens around here so no sense in wasting them. I want to really keep good weight records next year so I can compare everyone's weights to scrap the smaller ones sooner.

All of my pullet culls end up at my parents house as my parents would much rather get fresh farm eggs than store bought eggs. :)

The Silver Penciled Rock eggs that I purchased from PEI Chicken had a health certificate accompanying them. I'm pretty excited about them - 2014 should be a fun year!

thumbsup.gif

That is one of the best looking penciled cockerels I've seen. The lines that are shown here have beautiful pullets but sad looking featherless boys. How is your female penciling? Just my novice thought but if your cockerel has good plumage perchance the hens are lacking in "paint" of that variety. But then that's why there are separate breeding pens- to keep the female and male lines apart for show. Looks like a male line to me. And a beaut at that.
Featherless boys? Hmm.. Mine have always had lots of feathering, but they take forever to get that neat colouring Silver_Rock's boy has.. But mine are half his age too.

PS: Love his comb.

I have two very nice pencilled girls, and one with not so nice pencilling in her chest. She's also a tad smaller, so I will probably just keep her with the layers for now. I may test breed her, but if I have two nice looking girls, I will just breed them for now.

I wasn't sure on the "featherless" comment, either, Aoxa.

Holy heck, we've had the oddest weather around here. Couple weeks ago - of course, we were working on pens in the cold and very windy weather - it was in the teens and LOW single digits with wind chill; today, it's supposed to be almost 60.
hu.gif

I haven't gone through my PEI pullets yet, they're far too young at 22 weeks to do so, but I am rather enjoying my Adamson cockerel's confuion at having 14 pullets in with him. HA! He clearly doens't know where to start. I'll be splitting them all up in a few more months, running a pure Canadian line of SPR as well as my own. I'm VERY excited about next year and the following ones. I have such big plans for these birds, I just hope they all come to fruition!

I wasn't sure on the "featherless" comment, either, Aoxa.

Holy heck, we've had the oddest weather around here. Couple weeks ago - of course, we were working on pens in the cold and very windy weather - it was in the teens and LOW single digits with wind chill; today, it's supposed to be almost 60.
hu.gif

I haven't gone through my PEI pullets yet, they're far too young at 22 weeks to do so, but I am rather enjoying my Adamson cockerel's confuion at having 14 pullets in with him. HA! He clearly doens't know where to start. I'll be splitting them all up in a few more months, running a pure Canadian line of SPR as well as my own. I'm VERY excited about next year and the following ones. I have such big plans for these birds, I just hope they all come to fruition!
Weather here is odd as well. We go from -10 to +10. That's Celsius, so between 14 - 50F for daily highs. We had the worst kind of snow yesterday.. the kind that is so heavy and wet and slushy that it is hard to shovel or blow.. I figured it would melt, because the daily high was 40 or so.. .yeah, it got so cold last night it is this huge sheet of ice. :| Very hard to walk on, because you break through a little and it takes three times as long to reach the barn.

Thankfully tomorrow it is going to reach 50 and is going to rain, so it won't last. I want the fluffy light snow before Christmas, and after that it can be gone.

We had every chicken yesterday vaccinated for ILT. Has to be done to show here. Just a drop in their eye. I spent 2 hours chasing and catching chickens. I have over 30 Barred Plymouth Rocks. Some are looking really good.

I have a rumpless barred rock. He'd work well in a Barred Araucana project LOL. Seriously not even close to a tail. He is a ball with a neck and head. Not going to use him at all. He'll become dinner.

The vet told me he hasn't vaccinated any barred rocks close to my quality. Felt really good to hear that :)

Last edited:
Weather here is odd as well. We go from -10 to +10. That's Celsius, so between 14 - 50F for daily highs. We had the worst kind of snow yesterday.. the kind that is so heavy and wet and slushy that it is hard to shovel or blow.. I figured it would melt, because the daily high was 40 or so.. .yeah, it got so cold last night it is this huge sheet of ice. :| Very hard to walk on, because you break through a little and it takes three times as long to reach the barn.

Thankfully tomorrow it is going to reach 50 and is going to rain, so it won't last. I want the fluffy light snow before Christmas, and after that it can be gone.

We had every chicken yesterday vaccinated for ILT. Has to be done to show here. Just a drop in their eye. I spent 2 hours chasing and catching chickens. I have over 30 Barred Plymouth Rocks. Some are looking really good.

I have a rumpless barred rock. He'd work well in a Barred Araucana project LOL. Seriously not even close to a tail. He is a ball with a neck and head. Not going to use him at all. He'll become dinner.

The vet told me he hasn't vaccinated any barred rocks close to my quality. Felt really good to hear that :)
That's DANGEROUS snow. I have quite a walk back to my barns, and I always worry when it begins to freeze. I sure don't heal up as quickly as I once did....also....I am not as nimble as I once was.

Congrats on getting the birds vaccinated for showing - is it done once a year, or is that a one-time deal? CONGRATS on the nice comment from the vet!

Back
Top Bottom