Plymouth Rock thread!

Quote: I don't like to breed brother and sister and he is a sibling to all my hens and pullets. Should I not worry about that??? Do you like him? Is he good enough to start a new line with him? I do have 2 unrelated pullets I could put him with and grow me out some new roos. I have not seen any issues in my birds. I have had issues with some other GSBR I had but not from my line. I have not been able to grow out the roos from my GSBR birds. The 2 pullets I have are GSBR pullets.

Advice????? PLEASE!!!!

I don't like to breed brother and sister and he is a sibling to all my hens and pullets. Should I not worry about that??? Do you like him? Is he good enough to start a new line with him? I do have 2 unrelated pullets I could put him with and grow me out some new roos. I have not seen any issues in my birds. I have had issues with some other GSBR I had but not from my line. I have not been able to grow out the roos from my GSBR birds. The 2 pullets I have are GSBR pullets.

Advice????? PLEASE!!!!
I'd breed him to the his siblings (individually) and also the the 2 unrelated girls. Toe punch each according to the pairing so you know which pair it came from. Cull ruthlessly for any defects

I am going to breed siblings this yr as it is a good way to consolidate "good traits"

My current roo is from Matt1616 and my pullets are from him and my first try at blue barred rocks. My original solid blues came from Halo's birds. My first roos were home grown hatchery in the first couple of gens of the blue barreds. I only kept the blue barred pullets. I have breed about 3-4 generations out of my current roo. I usually swap out the hens after a year or so.

I am up for mating with siblings and the other GSBR.

If you guys think I should just go with him I will. I can grow out more for next year if needed. I didn't really know if I would like him. I just saw him in person today and said YES to taking him back without thinking it out. LOL I knew I could use him if no more than a short term fix.

OK, just me. You gotta follow your own instincts here, but I'd go get him. I'd put him with the GSBR pullets and get crackin'. It's early, carpe diem. But, goodness. If those GSBR pullets are laying 4 eggs each per week, you could gather 10 or 12 viable eggs and get started. If you produce 30 chicks from that mating trio, then you could start rotating him over his sibling females, the very best, and do as Scott suggested. I don't know about your experience with the heat and humidity, but in KY, we've got to break it all up by early May.

Got a feeling your experience would be similar.

OK, just me. You gotta follow your own instincts here, but I'd go get him. I'd put him with the GSBR pullets and get crackin'. It's early, carpe diem. But, goodness. If those GSBR pullets are laying 4 eggs each per week, you could gather 10 or 12 viable eggs and get started. If you produce 30 chicks from that mating trio, then you could start rotating him over his sibling females, the very best, and do as Scott suggested. I don't know about your experience with the heat and humidity, but in KY, we've got to break it all up by early May.

Got a feeling your experience would be similar.

I keep mine in breeding pens all year. I don't live at the farm and can't free range.

My GSBR are laying 2 eggs a DAY! I set about 12-14 eggs from them every week! They are with my Blue Cockerel making me sexlinks for my solid line of rocks.

He will be quarantined for 30 days and then I will give him a pullet to start.

I am LIKING this plan!

OK..... I think I am going to get this Cockerel back..... he was sold as a chick to a local and he is willing to let me have him back (for a pullet LOL)

I don't see anything GLARING wrong with him for my breeding. If you see something let me know. Scott, Fred I am still looking for another roo. I need some new blood.

He hatched in Late Summer so he is not very old.... but is already courting the girls.... that is what I need an interested rooster.....

He is certainly very good looking! He is much nicer than the hatchery kind, much prettier coloring.

Thanks.... he is not hatchery for sure. He is from GSBR lines through Matt1616. I fell hard for the nice barring. They are just STRIKING after having hatchery rocks.

Very Pretty! I have one hatchery and my favorite was lost to a hawk. I have learned through BYC how much time and consideration breeders give vs hatcheries. I don't know if I will keep my birds very long so hatcheries was a good start. It is difficult to find a nice home that allows chickens so my days having them may be limited.

Back
Top Bottom