Plymouth Rock thread!

Barred Rocks from hatcheries often have leghorn in them, which explains your experience. I have NEVER had a mean Barred Rock, or a bully hen.. or a screamer like the easter eggers. Sometimes I feel like I will give those EEs a heart attack when I have to pick them up to move them. SCREAMS like you wouldn't believe. They would definitely alert the entire world if one got snatched by a predator.. that's for sure.

I have this nasty rooster that I am going to take care of once it warms up (not being bred). My main man Gatsby defended my honour the other day. I was smacking the mean rooster with an empty 5 gallon bucket after he flogged me. Gatsby kicks him straight in the face and chases him off.

Gatsby has earned his keep. My heart burst with pride.

The mean rooster is a mutt. It is my fault he is that way. I raised him by hand as a chick so he has no fear. Little brat.
We took care of a mean Bourbon Red Turkey and boy he tasted good last night.

See that shadow line? That is a clean cut path in the snow. The depth is over 30" and isn't going anywhere soon. The birds cannot go out. There's nowhere to go and no "patches". It's all Siberian.
Which explains why this pullet, after stepping out the door, turned back and gave me this look.
"Are you kidding me?"

I will quit complaining now.

My WRs and PRs are very calm and have wonderful temperaments but the BRs never have...though they are hatchery sourced and probably more Maran than BR, so probably cannot be counted as such.
Awe...you're giving Marans a bad name!
tongue.gif
MY Marans are quite laid back!!

I'm finally getting some in a few weeks, and am very excited about it. :)

Not Cuckoo. I am a sucker for clean barring, and the cuckoo pattern looks too messy to me.
I know what you mean; I have a Cuckoo (just for eggs) and a well-bred Barred Rock in my layer pen; when they sit beside each other on the roost, it's crazy seeing how different their barring is.

I know what you mean; I have a Cuckoo (just for eggs) and a well-bred Barred Rock in my layer pen; when they sit beside each other on the roost, it's crazy seeing how different their barring is.
That is why I don't like the Dominique either. I find them too messy. I am ruined for barring now. Must be tidy..

I'm getting Blue & Black Copper Marans. I wish I could find some solid coloured Marans..

Also question.. What do you all sell your well bred Barred Rocks in pairs or trios for? What about eggs and chicks?

Quote:
Mine too. In fact I have a grow out pens with my partridge, SPPR and some Marans. They are ALL UNDER FOOT when I go in that pen. I better have scratch to get them to the other side of the pen so I can get in. I have more in there than that and they are all that way. Mob mentality I guess.

Back
Top Bottom