Plymouth Rock thread!

You can also teach them to come. I use a specific call when I intend to give them treats.

CHICK, chick, chick, chick, chick, chick.

I repeat as needed. I go to the coop, step inside, and I have a specific place where I give them treats. They will line up expectantly in front of me, jostling for position. I scatter the treats over an area of about 3'x3' (a little less than 1m x 1m). Since the treats are scattered and I remain to play rooster, they do not fight over them and everyone gets some.

You can also teach them to come. I use a specific call when I intend to give them treats.

CHICK, chick, chick, chick, chick, chick.

I repeat as needed. I go to the coop, step inside, and I have a specific place where I give them treats. They will line up expectantly in front of me, jostling for position. I scatter the treats over an area of about 3'x3' (a little less than 1m x 1m). Since the treats are scattered and I remain to play rooster, they do not fight over them and everyone gets some.
I do the same thing with my treat bucket. I call out "hey chickie chickies" and they come running.

I find that all I need to do is walk out with the feed bucket and they come running.
True, mine usually come running whenever I step into the yard! I feel like they're so disappointed if I find have treats for them.
If I'm already out in the yard and need to call them, the "chook chook chook!" Works well.

Quote:
My birds are the same way when they see the treat bucket they come running to me without me uttering a word but occasionally one or more might not be paying attention and I call out just to get their attention. My birds are in a pasture when they are out free ranging and there are a couple of trees in the pasture not far from their coops they like to scratch under.

My birds are the same way when they see the treat bucket they come running to me without me uttering a word but occasionally one or more might not be paying attention and I call out just to get their attention. My birds are in a pasture when they are out free ranging and there are a couple of trees in the pasture not far from their coops they like to scratch under.

Sigh. Mine tend to be hiding under grape vines, or under blueberry bushes, or amongst the cane berries. If they hear the treats when I shake them, they'll come - but sometimes they are far enough out that I need to call them. The yard isn't that big; but the elementary school PA system behind us sometimes drowns out jetliners and railroad trains.

Lots of loud Mexican music and announcements in Spanish. I don't know if anything is still done in English over there or not, since no one I know bothers to send their kids to public school anymore.

I have 2 Barred Rocks, one has had curved outer toes since a chick. Since young her tail has always been more upright than my other two and her overall color has been just a little darker than her brooder buddies and is the smallest of the three, and was the last to start laying. She is healthy, lays small to medium brown eggs regularly, has a great personality and is very friendly. She has demonstrated no handicaps in scratching, catching bugs! But she has laid an egg one evening while all others were already roosting.

This is a pic of Road Runner when she was younger, now 16 months old. Has anyone any idea why her toes are like this? I always thought it could be a gene defect - she came from commercial hatchery.

* the day I named her Road Runner, she changed the Peep Peep to Beep Beep!

I have 2 Barred Rocks, one has had curved outer toes since a chick. Since young her tail has always been more upright than my other two and her overall color has been just a little darker than her brooder buddies and is the smallest of the three, and was the last to start laying. She is healthy, lays small to medium brown eggs regularly, has a great personality and is very friendly. She has demonstrated no handicaps in scratching, catching bugs! But she has laid an egg one evening while all others were already roosting.

This is a pic of Road Runner when she was younger, now 16 months old. Has anyone any idea why her toes are like this? I always thought it could be a gene defect - she came from commercial hatchery.

* the day I named her Road Runner, she changed the Peep Peep to Beep Beep!

I have had birds in the past with crooked toes too. I think it is mostly genetics. If caught early enough when they are baby chicks usually the crooked toes can be corrected by taping their feet so the toes are straight. Sorry the picture is a little grainy.

Back
Top Bottom