Plymouth Rock thread!

I have 2 Barred Rocks, one has had curved outer toes since a chick. Since young her tail has always been more upright than my other two and her overall color has been just a little darker than her brooder buddies and is the smallest of the three, and was the last to start laying. She is healthy, lays small to medium brown eggs regularly, has a great personality and is very friendly. She has demonstrated no handicaps in scratching, catching bugs! But she has laid an egg one evening while all others were already roosting.

This is a pic of Road Runner when she was younger, now 16 months old. Has anyone any idea why her toes are like this? I always thought it could be a gene defect - she came from commercial hatchery.

* the day I named her Road Runner, she changed the Peep Peep to Beep Beep!

I can't see her head clearly in the picture. What kind of comb does she have? She has a tail very close to that of a Dominique, but her back is raised - but ti still slopes down from head to tail, more like a Dominique than a Rock, but she has the black and white markings of a Rock and not the Slate markings of a Dominique.

Pic is before she was full grown. She has a single comb with points like a barr. I think Dominiques have a pea comb. Pretty sure she is a barred rock, just has some genetic issues. Interesting to me, I have three barred rocks, and the size of combs and wattles followed in order of first egg laying, although they are exactly the same age! The first to lay has the largest comb & wattle, and the last to start laying has the smallest, even at 18 months old.

Doms have a ROSE Comb. Pea combs look totally different. Rose combs will have spikes on them or bumps (looks different in different breeds.

That bird looks like a Dom with a rose comb.

Doms have a ROSE Comb. Pea combs look totally different. Rose combs will have spikes on them or bumps (looks different in different breeds.

That bird looks like a Dom with a rose comb.

Her owner says she has a single comb. She might be a single comb Dominque; they do exist. Many people don't realize that Dominiques originally came in single and rose combs, until the latter portion of the 19th Century. Circa the early 1870s the New York Poultry show declared that Dominques must have a rose comb and be smaller in size than Barred Rocks. Many Dominique flocks became Barred Rocks overnight.

I have had birds in the past with crooked toes too. I think it is mostly genetics. If caught early enough when they are baby chicks usually the crooked toes can be corrected by taping their feet so the toes are straight. Sorry the picture is a little grainy.

I've been told brooder conditions can cause that too.
hu.gif

Thw first photo is obviously a Roo

But what sex is the second chook?

It doesnt have black wash down the front. Is it a roo or hen?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6511077/width/200/

[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6511078/width/200/height/400height/400[/IMG]

Someone has been making conspicuous noises in the run the past few mornings. The White Rock (12 weeks) is my prime suspect, followed by the Barred (11 weeks):
Pullet or cockerel? About 12 weeks old...

Also, my WR did this the other day, in response to a little flycatcher flying past her. I caught the last minute of the 3-4 minute tirade on video.

Someone has been making conspicuous noises in the run the past few mornings. The White Rock (12 weeks) is my prime suspect, followed by the Barred (11 weeks):
Pullet or cockerel? About 12 weeks old...

Also, my WR did this the other day, in response to a little flycatcher flying past her. I caught the last minute of the 3-4 minute tirade on video.

I think the WR is a cockerel. The BR looks like a pullet to me.

Back
Top Bottom