Plymouth Rock thread!

Pics
Someone, somewhere on this thread, was asking about the slow feathering trait.

I have been told that slow feathering is desirable in barred rocks because it creates a more clearly barred pattern than in birds that feather out quickly. Just FYI!

Ok all....I have a "culling question" perhaps. This cockerel and several of his brothers have tails like this one. They curve around and point back at his "butt end" area. Is this a trait they grow out of or is it a trait to cull for? Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. BTW, these guys are all around 16 weeks old

25882_cimg1719.jpg

25882_cimg1717.jpg

25882_cimg1716.jpg

All three pix are of the same cockerel BTW, he just wouldn't come out from under that oak tree. Pretty darn hot again here today so I really don't blame him!

I have a question - It seems like everyone talks about the Barred Rocks being supper friendly, and the one I have definately is. But do ALL the Plymouth Rocks have that trait? I love those Columbian Rocks, and the Silver Penciled ones are neat.

I don't know either but at least yours has a tail..here is my Partridge Rock 19 weeks the best one I think I find it very difficult to take pictures and his color is so beautiful and you really can't tell that either

51426_100_1044.jpg

this one is trying to show his width

51426_100_1042.jpg

he lets the other rooster pick out his tail I guess this weekend he should have his own pen with his ladies the hens combs are starting to really get red so soon eggs I hope

51426_pr_hen.jpg

Scott, I guess I'm not seeing what you are meaning - his tail looks perfectly normal to me, but I'm on an old computer so maybe I just can't see the pic well.
hu.gif

Yard full o' rocks :

Ok all....I have a "culling question" perhaps. This cockerel and several of his brothers have tails like this one. They curve around and point back at his "butt end" area. Is this a trait they grow out of or is it a trait to cull for? Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. BTW, these guys are all around 16 weeks old

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/25882_cimg1719.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/25882_cimg1717.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/25882_cimg1716.jpg

All three pix are of the same cockerel BTW, he just wouldn't come out from under that oak tree. Pretty darn hot again here today so I really don't blame him!

To me they look normal. The tails will fill out and look 'normal' as the birds get older.​

Quote:

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.......

I've had my Silver penciled rocks for 13 weeks now. The males I found to be friendly, but cautious. (as most roosters are) Unfortunately, I lost both of them at 8 weeks to a predator. My females (the 2 that I have left thanks to the predator taking the other pullet) are now 13 weeks old, and are independent women. They are friendly, but not cuddly. They prefer not to be handle, but are very curious. (the first to try new things) They all were extremely mellow as chicks. I was surprised at how mellow they were. The Orps would quickly hide when I reached in the brooder, but these guys (and girls) stood their ground.

Hope that helps in the short time I've had them.

I raise Large Buff Rocks, and Bantam Buff and Columbian Rocks. What I've seen in particularly the males is that they tend to be slow feathering. With the patterned birds that's not overly surprising and I know the Barred breeders prefer the slow feathering because the pattern is much better in the slow feathering birds. My females feather out faster, but as a whole with both my Large Cochins and Rocks they are slow feathering and slow maturing. The larger framed birds tend to be that way. They put the body frame on first and then fill in the feathering. My Mediterranean breeds feather out normally both male and female.

Hope this helps!
Tom

Wow you all have been busy on this thread. I have not checked in due to MIL being in town. We lost 5 of our hens to a fox but he has moved on. Our chicks are growing but we are down to 5 on them also due to hens landing on the others in coop. We are building a addition this summer. I will have chick pics on their blog after the 4th. We have 3 cockerals and 2 pullets.

Yard full of rocks. Let them grow out, sometimes tails will do that then moult fine. You should have some curve to them. I do not do any culling till after a year old due to pattern and feather changes. Ofcourse this year fox did that for me.
somad.gif

Glad to see how you all are doing. Sorry to hear about the sick chicks. Did you find as feed that is not with AMp?

Back
Top Bottom