Plymouth Rock thread!

Pics
Here's my roo at the beginning of the summer and all grown up! He's a bit full of himself--and me being near the run=food to his brain!!

58310_spot.jpg

58310_rooster_cogburn.jpg

Well....I just set my first "test" batch of Columbian Rocks in the incubator!! I put 6 eggs in to test fertility. Still only getting 2-3 eggs a day, but the rest of the girls should start any time now

Roosters (3 of them) seem to be doing the job, just not sure that they are getting it right just yet....we'll see in a few days

Hope everyone is well!!!

Still hotter 'en "hello" here

Good Luck with the test batch Scott........

I am getting cooler temperatures here, 42 last night and a high of 66 today.......

Yard full o' rocks :

Well....I just set my first "test" batch of Columbian Rocks in the incubator!! I put 6 eggs in to test fertility. Still only getting 2-3 eggs a day, but the rest of the girls should start any time now

Roosters (3 of them) seem to be doing the job, just not sure that they are getting it right just yet....we'll see in a few days

Hope everyone is well!!!

Still hotter 'en "hello" here

Monday, Oct 11th will be the due date then, right?
woot.gif

Good luck for a great hatch!​

Yard wishing you much luck on hatch.

I am waiting now on another one of mine to go broody so we can have a hatch here. Should be soon since many are finishing moult. I will not do incubator since I am working on heritage and hardy chickens. The last batch I bought as chicks were raised by a boody. Wow what a difference in personality. They really forage for themselves more than wanting to be feed. Also color is way better too.

Out of my 4 survivers I have 2 pullets. Now I bought these from same hatchery a last year MT Healthy because they carry at least one line of heritage stock. These 2 pullet are the best out off all my hens I think so far. Color and body is much better than last years batch. Can not wait till they start laying which I expect will be well after 20 weeks. Since I am thinking they are heritage line. The true heritage stock will not lay most of the time as early as 20 weeks but more like 28 or 32 weeks. Thats fine with me as I have layers already here I can wait on the new ones.

Good luck to all of you waiting on hatchings.
jumpy.gif

I have a roosting question. Since Barred Rocks are a heavy breed, should their roosts be lower than other breeds?

My 8 week old Rocks are in a coop I originally built for Guineas with roosts as high as possible. In the past few days they have graduated from sleeping on the coop floor to the most tippy top roost, about 8 feet up.

Should I be concerned that they are roosting so high up? I can remove the 2 x 4's that are 8 feet high and leave them with the lower roosts if that would be better.

racuda .... 8 foot high is really high. I dunno, but I would lower them, if it isn't a big problem. I can tell you that I have a Delaware pullet that jumped up onto an 8 ft high roof, and when she came down she hurt her leg. She is now limping. We saw it happen. Silly bird.

I got a new camera and wanted to try it out. I still am not a good photographer, but anyway .... here are my roosters. Can you experts tell me who I can cull now, and if any certain one shows any promise?

31282_dscf0006.jpg

31282_dscf0008.jpg

31282_dscf0012.jpg

31282_dscf0037.jpg

31282_dscf0049.jpg

31282_dscf0080.jpg

31282_dscf0038.jpg

This is my only hen .... (until Scott sends me more!)

31282_dscf0061.jpg

Back
Top Bottom