Plymouth Rock thread!

Thanks, my friend breeds them and did REALLY well at the Northeastern Poultry Congress
smile.png

Quote:
They came from Guy Roy right? He has probably the best SPPR

Maybe, I know there's one breeder that she ALWAYS gets them from, but he wasn't there this year due to family issues
sad.png
But he's gonna be at The Little Rhodie

Quote:
I think (but don't know) that hatchery birds are bred to have enough similarites to the standard (mainly color) to keep the average backyard keeper happy. I've had my hatchery birds for nearly three years, and only now have the "upgrade" bug
lol.png
And I must admit - my hatchery birds have kept me in more eggs than my family could EVER eat!

I have two barred rocks from a hatchery (Ideal) that lay really well. They are two years old and I get 4 eggs from each, every week (on average).

Little by little, I'm replacing all my hatchery birds with typey birds from breeders (I have SLW, BO, and White Orps coming from breeders this month).

Next on my list are Rocks.......and I have my sights set on Silver Penciled
big_smile.png

Good luck with your Barred Rocks - I don't think you'll be disappointed with their performance.

Thanks Kelly G

We started off with barred rocks from Meyer Hatchery but some stuff came up and we sold them to a neighbor. It'll be kind of neat to have them back again.

I've had more BR's than any other breed. Last year I had four... Well, 2 died of cocci and 1 got eaten by a predator. Now I just have one named Pepper, who is my survivor... When we lost some to cocci she survived, she survive fowl pox and all the frequent additions to the flock throughout the year! She lays small light brown eggs. This is her out ranging a few days ago...

2a56adbd.jpg

Laying (with her sister Amelia, a White Rock on the right)
12cbe877.jpg

Amelia is our White Rock. She used to be really flighty but now she's calmed down a bit. She will be leaving to a new home soon, because she is so loud... I mean, I'm investigating what a pullet's attempt to crow is like.
roll.png
She lays very long eggs everyday.
adacc260.jpg

Pepper is also in my avatar.

Back
Top Bottom