Plymouth Rock thread!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/katz0556/?action=view&current=IMG_0172-2.jpg

This is for the guy who wanted to see the pictures of my old Strain of White Rock Large Fowl Picture is abut two years old. This strain is from Oliver Bowen from California that I got 25 years ago. The strain is about 50 years old and still 100% pure if anything that is different in this strain than others is the trait of extended keel bones in the males. The males all have nice full breast as ckls. bob

Nice looking Wt. Rocks there bob.

In an earlier post you had mentioned that the Buff rocks were about the rarest and hardest to locate here in the states. How about Buff Columbian Rocks are there any or might I say do they exist.

Jeff

Buff Colombian I don't know of any worth a hoot. Heck I have Buff Brahma bantams and would hate to think of breeding that color pattern on a rock.

Did you ask a question about ticking in Rhode Island Reds?

I cant find the post Matt 1616 told me about it on the phone today.

I am sure someone has them but I sure as heck don't want them There are other colors that need help like part-ride and Silver Pencil led

The picture of the barred rock looks like the first hens I had as a little boy that I got from dozzen eggs from
my uncle. This is a classic Barred Rock Production strain. There are 100 of them at my local feed store from Ideal Hatchery and selling like hot cakes. They are great layers.
bob

Last edited:
Buff Colombian I don't know of any worth a hoot. Heck I have Buff Brahma bantams and would hate to think of breeding that color pattern on a rock.

Did you ask a question about ticking in Rhode Island Reds?

I cant find the post Matt 1616 told me about it on the phone today.

I am sure someone has them but I sure as heck don't want them There are other colors that need help like part-ride and Silver Pencil led

The picture of the barred rock looks like the first hens I had as a little boy that I got from dozzen eggs from
my uncle. This is a classic Barred Rock Production strain. There are 100 of them at my local feed store from Ideal Hatchery and selling like hot cakes. They are great layers.
bob

Thanks for the info there Bob on the Buffs I really don't need another anything to add to my program as I have German New Hampshires, Delawares, getting into the Good Shepard Barred Rocks and working in the Delaware re-make project with Mrs. Kathy and others, so I don't need partridge or silver penciled rocks even though they are geat too. I was looking for the buff columbian pattern to try an experimental cross to try and lighten up these GNH some. Now I'm not planning on introducing the Buff into all my stock and jumbling up the gene pool. I just wanted some sort of way to see if these birds can be lightened up some a still stay within the realms of being New Hampshire types. You dang sure can't find a quality standard New Hampshire, well not yet have they surfaced. Anyway I appreciate your input and letting people know what's out there and needing to be worked with.

Jeff

I have Buff Columbian........... well, sorta....
They are F2s from my projects (Barred Rock x New Hampshire were the F1s).
Buff Barred, too......
I called them Rockshires.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I know and I hope that soon enough " when" I ever get around to breeding for my F2 projects, that I end up with quite a few of those lighter colored buffs myself. I will be crossing them to the GNH to experiment with colors. I guess if there are no buff columbians out there I will resort to making my own just as we are doing with the Dels Mrs. Kathy. I have the know-how the will and the way thanks to you and the stock you've supplied me to do so. LOL

Jeff

Last edited:

Oh Kathy, they've grown up so pretty, they look like butterscotch chickens. LOL. I still want some of the Barred Buffs!!!

Last edited:
Some of my Silver Pencil Plymoouth Rocks In this order:
Cockeral no. 28
Cockeral no. 26 (has more smut in his feathers than 28)
Hen no. 27
Cockeral no 28 from behind

Hen 27

Very nice looking hennypen! Your hen looks like she might have a really nice top line. Do you have side pictures! Gorgeous

I'll try to get some pictures of my flock this week to compare, I've got Danny Padgetts roo on 2 of his girls, 2 of wynettes girls and 2 hortstman girls

Back
Top Bottom