Plymouth Rock thread!

Quote:
Quote:
You're so smart, Jeff.
smile.png

Hi, I am in the market to start my First flock
jumpy.gif
.( Not to say I have no experience with chickens.)
My mom is on her 5th flock consisting of 10 hens & 1 Black Langshen rooster; her 1st flock had 4 barred rock hens.
I liked the size & color of the eggs, can't say the same for the color of the chicken salt & pepper become kind boring when that's all you see;
& up until this year I thought they came in only 1 color Barred.
I'm vary Pleased to see that this Isn't true & that there are actually many colors like barred, wight, partridge & buff .
clap.gif

Now In the past mom had some wyandottes of 3 different colors thinking they would all have basically they same personality & docility
Not So the columbians where gentle, friendly, love to sit on your arm & be petted & they made Great moms to & got along with all the other chickens;
the silver laced where gentle, shy & vary easily startled & mad good moms,but raised there chicks to be afraid of us & got along with the other chicken & would walk away rather than get in a pecking fight;
the Gold laced where the total opposite of the columbians, the gold laced where just out & out unfriendly & did Not get along with the other chickens & would pic on the other chickens at bed time & would never come near you unless you had food & where others would eat out of your hand gently these gals would look at the food then at your hand & purposely peck at your hand no matter how many times you repositioned it, & had absolutely no interest in being a mother.
there was no different between thees tree other than the color, they all where hand raised & doted on when they where chicks & never chased around, in other words nothing done to make them mean or scared. Once again (the only thing different between them is the color.)
leaving me to conclude that the color has something to do with the temperament of a chicken & not just the breed.

Now because I liked the size & color of the eggs as well as the temperament of the Plymouth Rock I would like to have it in my first flock
smile.png
just not shore witch is right for me because I have only had experience with the Barred Plymouth rock.
So here is my question,
what is the temperaments of the Buff, Partridge, Wight & Barred when compared to each other?

Sincerely from Ozark Mo,
Broody Hen 2012!
frow.gif

I have Columbian Rocks, and although they are still young they are very good natured.

I don't think color is an indicator of temperament.
The birds you are talking about probably came from a hatchery I would guess?
Their temperament is more of an indicator of what the hatchery may have crossed them with to get their color and egg production.
Years ago before we replaced all of our hatchery birds, my wife wanted some Gold Lace Wyandotte. I ordered 25 pullet chicks from one of the oldest hatcheries in USA. 7 of them grew out with straight combs!
Those 25 were some of the wildest chickens we have ever owned. Mean to the other chickens and next to impossible to handle.

This is one of the reasons we now only have true Heritage breeds we aquired thru small breeders.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FOGELLY
"I have Columbian Rocks, and although they are still young they are very good natured.

Their temperament is more of an indicator of what the hatchery may have crossed them with to get their color and egg production.
Years ago before we replaced all of our hatchery birds, my wife wanted some Gold Lace Wyandotte. I ordered 25 pullet chicks from one of the oldest hatcheries in USA. 7 of them grew out with straight combs!
Those 25 were some of the wildest chickens we have ever owned. Mean to the other chickens and next to impossible to handle.

This is one of the reasons we now only have true Heritage breeds we aquired thru small breeders."

BoodyHen2012s Reply
idunno.gif
Yes the birds I'm talking about came from a hatchery Ideal Poultry as a mater of fact.
So you would guess right
lau.gif

& thanks for your info it's vary helpful to know
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FOGELLY
"I have Columbian Rocks, and although they are still young they are very good natured.

This is one of the reasons we now only have true Heritage breeds we aquired thru small breeders."

BoodyHen2012s Reply
idunno.gif
Yes the birds I'm talking about came from a hatchery Ideal Poultry as a mater of fact.
So you would guess right
lau.gif

& thanks for your info it's vary helpful to know
thumbsup.gif
Your welcome. I see you live in Mo You might try someone like Kathy for some good birds. :D

Finally, we have figured out what to call the daughter of the handsome Rex and beautimous Dottie. Here is Druscilla, who will be called Dru, after an old friend of ours. She's 7 weeks old and I think turning out to be as lovely as her mama:

Back
Top Bottom