Plymouth Rock thread!

Im rather new to this but Im enjoying learning! I agree that many people sell chicks as pur bred but they actually are not... That happened to me with my first BR... Being new I didnt know the difference. I still dont know for sure but something about them just tells me their not... So im just gonna sell there eggs, pass them on to someone who doesnt care but i wont breed them n sell there chicks as pur bred...

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. It wasn't the wattle color, but the plumage color I meant. A full body shot without an angle to it in natural light, not bright sunlight or red light, is best to tell color. Males and females are usually quite different in color because a pullet carries one barring gene and a cockerel carries two barring genes, making him appear much lighter, overall.

This is what I was trying to see--the difference in this 6 week old cockerel and his sister. When trying to sex by a photo, pictures that are too close are not best for the job.

Last edited:
Rocks are known for solid laying and reasonably long productivity. That said, a lot depends on the quality of the breeding. The more heritage birds are a far cry from the hyper productive hatchery birds, whose genetics are quite different, really. Your grandfather may very well have a great line of birds.

I have two BR hens who are 5 1/2 and still laying several eggs each week for most of the year (they take longer molt breaks as they age, it seems) and a BR hen who is going on 4 years and lays 6-7 eggs each week, my best layer. All three are daughters of hatchery hens.

Back
Top Bottom