Plymouth Rock thread!

Quote: I better start feeding him meal worms and making friends quick! Before he get that big.... WOW 10lbs or more?
ep.gif
The other one barring is about the same so I am pretty sure it is a roo, I wanted 2 for backup. Thanks!

I have weighted them at over 10 pounds at 9 months old, and they got a lot bigger! Never had a GS pullet with a large comb. Some of my cockerels have taken forever to get a comb with color

and I have had 2 that colored at 6 weeks,like this guy. He turned out really nice. .........stan

That picture just cracks me up.

Easiest route to choc rock would prolly be to grab a choc orp roo and have him cover bbs hens, and go for it. Be fixing type for a good long time, but there are good clean choc genes in orp here now.

And it would be a fun project. Me, I just loved my bbs rocks. They needed enough type work w/o adding orp lol. But wow great birds.

Easiest route to choc rock would prolly be to grab a choc orp roo and have him cover bbs hens, and go for it. Be fixing type for a good long time, but there are good clean choc genes in orp here now.
And it would be a fun project. Me, I just loved my bbs rocks. They needed enough type work w/o adding orp lol. But wow great birds.
No sense crossing something that does not have strong type to make a new color......especially crossing breeds.

Walt

Hey Walt... Yeah but nobody has chocolate in rocks. It's occurrence in blacks is nearly impossible odds. The only way to get it is to introduce ir from another breed where it is cleanly established, correct? That was after all, the question asked. How to get it.

Unless you want to own a thousand blacks and hope for god intervention. The only way to do it is to outcross to get the gene then fix type.

Other than finding one freak of nature... It's the only reliable way.

Yes, I said my bbs birds needed type improvement eight years ago the pool of high quality bbs lf rocks was quite small. They were what was available. There is no fault in working up from lesser type to better.

Not everyone gets to start with SQ type. People who branch out into rare colors usually do start with lesser quality stock in trying to develop colors that didn't occur except as faults in the breed, prior to sufficient interest to develop them to show standard and accepted status.

Caring enough to work a rare color to acceptance or develop a color isn't wrong, it's just hard but that wasn't the question. It's not simple because you create mutts and lblow the standard for generations, but aye. Can be done.

Then they're chocolate colored mutts until you restablish type. Be pretty though.

Hey Walt... Yeah but nobody has chocolate in rocks. It's occurrence in blacks is nearly impossible odds. The only way to get it is to introduce ir from another breed where it is cleanly established, correct? That was after all, the question asked. How to get it.
Unless you want to own a thousand blacks and hope for god intervention. The only way to do it is to outcross to get the gene then fix type.
Other than finding one freak of nature... It's the only reliable way.
Yes, I said my bbs birds needed type improvement eight years ago the pool of high quality bbs lf rocks was quite small. They were what was available. There is no fault in working up from lesser type to better.
Not everyone gets to start with SQ type. People who branch out into rare colors usually do start with lesser quality stock in trying to develop colors that didn't occur except as faults in the breed, prior to sufficient interest to develop them to show standard and accepted status.
Caring enough to work a rare color to acceptance or develop a color isn't wrong, it's just hard but that wasn't the question. It's not simple because you create mutts and lblow the standard for generations, but aye. Can be done.
Then they're chocolate colored mutts until you restablish type. Be pretty though.

If there is no chocolate in Rocks and many of the other colors need work....why spend that effort to get yet another color that is going to have poor type. That is just how I look at it, but people can do whatever they like, but to me the point is to improve what we already have...not many are doing that at the moment. Getting chocolate Rocks accepted is going to be a long haul.......ten years at the quickest....and probably much longer. It's your time and energy, I am just stating an opinion. Fix the colors we already have.

Walt

Walt

Back
Top Bottom