Plymouth Rock thread!

My Colombian Rocks are growing up. 

Which ones are keepers and which ones are culls?  Each picture is labeled with the band number. I'll post more cockeral pictures this weekend. 

link works now

http://photobucket.com/Colombianrockalbum

They look really nice to me.
As for culls, I don't think I would cull any of them.
Have you read any of the info on breeding For the Columbian color? There is an article on Bob Blosl website.
From what I have read you need to breed dark to light and so forth to aquired good color.
Breeding two near perfect colored birds does not produce like kind

Double mating.
Which will be new for me compared to my RIR.

Again I really like your birds!

Ron

Hi Plymouth Rock people. I bought these birds a while back for $3 each from a lady who had chickens coming out of her eyeballs. They were sold to me as Buff Orpingtons, and I thought the one was just a faulted bird with yellow on the legs and beaks, but having asked around a bit, I was told the yellow legged one might actually be a Buff Plymouth Rock instead. I'm sure they were hatchery birds, and I just wanted some bigger girls to add to my flock for egg laying, but I was hoping to get a better ID on her. Your thoughts?

The one laying down is the bird in question on this one.

And in this one she is in front. Slightly darker than the other bird and those bright yellow legs and feet! :)

Thanks in advance.

I still say its a hatchery Buff Rock. It may also be a male. If you want Buff Plymouth Rocks, Bob will help you find some. If you want to stick with Buff Orpingtons we will be happy to help you locate some.
Hi Plymouth Rock people. I bought these birds a while back for $3 each from a lady who had chickens coming out of her eyeballs. They were sold to me as Buff Orpingtons, and I thought the one was just a faulted bird with yellow on the legs and beaks, but having asked around a bit, I was told the yellow legged one might actually be a Buff Plymouth Rock instead. I'm sure they were hatchery birds, and I just wanted some bigger girls to add to my flock for egg laying, but I was hoping to get a better ID on her. Your thoughts?

The one laying down is the bird in question on this one.

And in this one she is in front. Slightly darker than the other bird and those bright yellow legs and feet! :)

Thanks in advance.

Yeah I agree and it maybe is just a factory/hatchery type BO, too, as my cousin had some (ideal) BOs they were universely buff in color most did have white shanks/feet BUT one did have a blue tail so go figure, huh? LOL

Jeff

I still say its a hatchery Buff Rock. It may also be a male. If you want Buff Plymouth Rocks, Bob will help you find some. If you want to stick with Buff Orpingtons we will be happy to help you locate some.

What?! Male? NooooooooOOooOOOOOoOOOO. How soon would I know for sure? I thought comb would be more evident by 22wks in this breed(s)

Thanks guys for your opinions. It doesn't really matter too much as we only got these birds for eggs and not for show or breeding. My girls show in 4H, but that wasnt in the plan for these ones. Thanks again for the offer HallFamilyFarm. I will pm you in the fall when 4H starts back up again and we need a new project!

Updating pictures of my Dru, who will be 15 weeks this Saturday. She is a Marvin Stukel line BR pullet out of my Rex (now owned by a friend) and my hen, Dottie-that's her mother in the background, who is trying to get her condition back after being broody.

Dru is a gorgeous girl!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom