Plymouth Rock thread!

I absolutely love Barred Rocks, each day a different story. I have four barred (total 26 chickens) if I had know, I would have gone with more two and three years ago.

But, in the fall if I can find barreds around 4 or 5 months old, or I will wait till the psring.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
Blue, Black and Splash.... they lay brown. I have some Blues myself.

This is the colors you get from trying to breed blues. I thought this is what you get as they are like breeding chickens and hoping for something to show up blue.

I wonder how long it will be be for we see a blue, splash or black Plymouth Rock on Champion row in the Poultry Press.

I bet in the last ten years I had ten people want Blue Rocks. I bet not one of them got any. Yet beginners go for this color pattern instead of starting out with a easy breed to hatch and raise.

We have a crises in our hobby and that is to many failures with beginners. They jump into this game and in no time two to three years are out of it. There should be some way to warn them of these pit falls. Thanks for the education.

Last edited:
Quote:
Blue, Black, Splash Large Fowl Rocks, Bob.
smile.png
No, I assure you they lay normal brown eggs as they should. I love them, but my first love are the Barreds. My Stukel Rocks are the best eye candy I've ever owned.

A few years ago, I didn't know there were blue Rocks. I already owned BBS Orpingtons and it was a natural extension as I love blue chickens. Have also had BBS Ameraucanas and still do. Don't know why blues are so rare in the Rocks since they've been in the standard since about 1920.

Last edited:
I thought that I would post a few pictures of the Blue Plymouth Rock chicks I hatched About 12 wks ago. The eggs came from Halo(Kathy) in Florida. I ordered 12 eggs and received 18 which 14 of them hatched. I kept a blue rooster,2 blue hens and a black hen. The rest I gave to a friend of my son. White Rocks were the first chickens I raised in the early 60s as a young teenager. I hope these turn out to be just as rewarding.

i

Back
Top Bottom