Plymouth Rock thread!

So my one and only SPR that was laying eggs decided to go broody
he.gif
he.gif

They are now 33 weeks only and back to no eggs
hide.gif
!!!!

Hi Rachel I feel your pain. Are you getting eggs from the other breeds? or is it just the spprs that are slacking?

My 2012 spprs have just started to lay this week, finally. Got my first fresh eggs in over 2 months. What a relief! I am looking forward to breakfasts again:yesss: I really have come to the conclusion that I would rather not eat store bought eggs.

Hi Rachel I feel your pain. Are you getting eggs from the other breeds? or is it just the spprs that are slacking?

My 2012 spprs have just started to lay this week, finally. Got my first fresh eggs in over 2 months. What a relief! I am looking forward to breakfasts again:yesss: I really have come to the conclusion that I would rather not eat store bought eggs.

Congrats
wee.gif
Nope, but most are just too young, should be getting eggs from 7 sometime in the next 3 weeks, they are just now at 24 weeks. So only my 5 SPRs, 1 White Rock, 1 Barred Rock and 2 of my Barnies are old enough. The Barnies have not laid in over 3 months (they are a year and half), but I am getting one egg each day from my Barred and White rock, so we get to eat eggs on the weekend!

I know I should get rid of the two Barnies that don't lay, even when they were both laying one of them had eggs with a shell so thin she broke them. She had plenty of access to oyster shells but always the same. They are just eating food with no return, however, that set of three, the BR and 2 Barnies, are my original "first" chickens and I am finding it hard to do the sensible thing
hide.gif

Hi Rachel

Maybe your Barnvelders will start laying again soon, and if you are lucky the hen that lays soft shelled eggs may have built up her supply of calcium during her moulting rest and will lay strong eggs again. I'm not really knowledgeable in this area, but hopeful for you. I have a 3 year old easter egger just starting to lay again after a 2+ month rest and her egg shells are better now. She has been a better egg layer than my spprs. (I don't think I could enjoy eating her either, but had no problem eating one of her offspring a few weeks ago.)

How is the weather in Texas? In PEI we have had an unusually warm fall. We haven't had snow yet (we usually have snow early in November), but I hear that we may be getting some this weekend. Anyway, I'm ready. I have my wood in the woodshed and snow tires on the car.

Hope you had a great American Thanksgiving!

Speaking of egg laying, does anyone know of a line of quality Barred Rock that are good layers? The line of heritage barreds that I currently have are most certainly not great, or even good layers as the rocks are supposed to be. I do want quality birds with size and crisp barring, not hatchery birds. I do appreciate any and all help......stan

Stan, why dont you post that on the Heritage thread. Id be interested in what Bob has to say about that.
I just posted over there Kathy. The main reason I posted here is because I am under the impression that 'heritage' means poor layer. I just hope that I can get a good looking barred rock that is a good layer, I don't espically care about the heritage label, but want the heritage type? Am I asking too much??. .....stan

Speaking of egg laying, does anyone know of a line of quality Barred Rock that are good layers? The line of heritage barreds that I currently have are most certainly not great, or even good layers as the rocks are supposed to be. I do want quality birds with size and crisp barring, not hatchery birds. I do appreciate any and all help......stan
What line do you presently have? You may have said somewhere earlier, but I do not remember.

I just posted over there Kathy. The main reason I posted here is because I am under the impression that 'heritage' means poor layer. I just hope that I can get a good looking barred rock that is a good layer, I don't espically care about the heritage label, but want the heritage type? Am I asking too much??. .....stan

You may be. Here is what I know, which isn't too much, perhaps. The gene that controls the spectacular feathering is connected to the slow feathering gene. The fast feathering gene is known to show a good layer. I'm "reverse engineering" the logic here, but, there may be something to this.

It the very rare heritage RIR that lays more than 240 eggs per year and many never quite hit that. This according to Bob Blosl. The reality is that a heritage Leghorn would still likely lay upward of 300 eggs. They had that capability from the get-go. The hatchery RIR and BR birds, or of whatever claimed "breed" have been pushed to extraordinary egg laying in many cases, but then? Aren't up to type at all.

Happy medium is what I am after. Top grade type and best laying possible, according to the breed's original ability. I seriously doubt the Ringlet Barred Rocks of E B Thompson's day laid 280 eggs their pullet year. I just doubt it. Some musings.

Back
Top Bottom