Plywood vs OSB?

Unless really really really well sealed... I don't use OSB for anything in the PNW as it will get wet at some point and rot out way faster than plywood. But that's because it will start to rain in sept, and it won't be dry till July. We'll get 2 months where things finally dry out, but in those two months... it will rain. So mildew and mold are normal things and if I can spend the few extra bucks per panel, I go with Plywood.

The main box is 4'x8'x4' give or take an inch or two. I made it to set up off the ground by 2 feet. Just a simple build using OSB for the floor, top, sides, back and doors. The structure is made of 2x4's. Now I didn't use a single nail in building this thing. I spent the extra time and a little bit of cost using decking screws and those black sheetrock screws. All of the frame is put together with 3-inch decking screws. The OSB is attached using 1-3/4-inch drywall screws. I used those because they're strong and almost impossible to strip when you drive them in. I have a good multi-speed drill/driver that I used. I also used good sealer, primer, and two coats of exterior paint to finish it off. The doors were the most difficult thing to do and get hung so they meet up in the middle correctly. I used 36-inch piano hinge on them.

Hope that helps!

Quote:
It sure does. I was thinking of setting on concrete blocks - any reason that wouldn't work? Already planned on using screws vice nails, so we agree there. And guess what I have sitting in the garage that I've been tearing apart? An old piano! (Tried to figure out a way to dismantle and use for part of the structure, but haven't figured out how).

So glad I saw this thread! I have been wondering what was the difference/advantage plywood and osb too... Now I know what to ask for when I go to buy...yea!!
wee.gif

Quote:
I know, I had my heart set on using it, but I'm not creative enough I guess. I was so hoping to be able to post a very original design.

sad.png

The cover and keys and all have already been ripped out, so if someone has an idea on how I could expand and use it, that'd be great. I should post a pic of it's current state.

Quote:
Thanks. I'm trying to make this as simply (and quickly) as possible, so any input is most appreciated.

Here's the piano. No matter how I look at it, it would take a considerable amount of work to add to in order to make it an adequate size for approx 6 hens. It would need to be extended probably both length and width (approx inside dimensions now 5' wide by 2' deep). Building strictly 4'x8' with OSB or plywood would be so much easier.

ETA: Piano question moved to different thread Here

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom