PLZ HELP ME with my broody

chookhead

Songster
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
my broody hen 11 chciken eggs under her i think one is rotten but i am not sure how can i make sure without canidlling its too dangerous lol she is nutter she will get u and there is a foul odour coming from the nest area but i am not sure will she give up if there is nuthin in the eggs ?? and can i make her brood for another incubation period if i have to ?

If you can smell it from far away, I don't think you have to candle them.
See if you can get her off the nest for a few minutes, maybe put her in a dark box, or just get her away for a while..
And smell each one. Throw the offending egg away, far away, don't try to see inside, your hands will stink!
Good luck!

Quote:
This is good advise. Some of them may be getting to the explosive stage. If you don`t handle very gently, an exploded egg will make more than your hands stink, whew!!!. How long has she been setting on these eggs?.......Pop

for maybe 5 -6 days so i dunno i dont wanna spoil anything i dont want any of them to die i am really scared last broody like 3 of them died coz of me

Im really thinking your smelling a broody poop!!! That smells like death!
sickbyc.gif
They hold in their poo for a LONGGGG time until they decide to get up and eat and drink real quick-then poo and watch out .....

Quote:
Tell ya what, get some fresh eggs and start her over on eggs that you know are fresh. You should switch the eggs at night so she doesn`t stress. There shouldn`t be a problem with her going the distance on fresh eggs, if you switch them right away. Then leave her alone to do her job. Good luck and Merry Christmas.........Pop

Quote:
Replace with fresh eggs and take the ones that she is sitting on. And no dont let her go broody again if she hatches some babies out. It takes alot out of them and she will need to recover after the babies hatch.

Back
Top Bottom