Point of lay for different breeds

Nematocyst

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
I've been trying to find somewhere a list of various chicken breeds with when one can reasonably expect the average hen to lay. I have 8 hens that are seven different breeds ("Ameraucana"/EE, Welsummer, Polish, SS, Barnevelder, BLRW and a Belgian d'Uccle.) My understanding is that they tend to start laying at different times. I'm happy to put together the list for this post if others can supply the info.

That's a neat idea, but from reading on here for the last year and a half, what seems to be true is that it is more an individual bird thing, than a breed thing. I could be wrong, but that's my impression.

Some breeds do lay earlier than others. But yes, it is sort of individual too sometimes.

Orpingtons - 24 - 30 weeks

Sex links usually around 18 - 20 weeks

The bigger, heavier breeds tend to lay later because they just take longer to grow up
smile.png

I would agree that it's an individual chicken thing, as well as hazard a guess that theres an environmental aspect as well (aside from hours of light, which we all know.) I still think though, that there are some breeds that tend to be earlier or later than others on average. It also seems that there's sometimes a difference btwn hatchery birds and breeder birds. I just think it would be a handy point of reference for some people (ok, mainly me!)
smile.png

ETA: thanks Galanie! Once I get a few, I'll start an alphabetized list in the OP!

Last edited:
There are indeed some breeds that often lay later than others, but it isn't actually breed determinant. It is breedING determinant. Say for example I have a hatchery Brahma vs a show Brahma. The show Brahma will lay later because it will grow much bigger and slower, while the hatchery Brahma was bred specifically to just lay lots of eggs, and early as possible. Same goes for even things like Easter Egger vs Ameraucana (they're two different breeds
wink.png
) The Easter Egger will vary because of its mixed background, but most are around 5-6 months, however most but not all Ameraucanas are 6 months and up. And, back to the point of breeding (lines) - Some Ameraucana strains, such as Buff colored ones of such and such lines, are usually expected to lay at 8 months old, while another line is expected to lay at 5-7 months.

It's about the strain/lineage. Some were bred with egg laying first on mind, some were bred with other traits on the mind, thus, slowing the laying point expectancy.

I saw a list like this somewhere, on a poster I think, but I agree that its nice to have a little bit of a guideline, I too have 7 chickens and 6 different breeds and I am constantly wondering when I can sort of anticipate one to start laying.

Back
Top Bottom