Point of Lay

omalicha

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2016
Abuja
Am thinking of skipping the brooding process and getting point of lay birds in my next batch of birds. Brooding was so stressful for me and I lost a lot of chicks due to viral infections and some I don't even know the cause of mortality and it's so so so painful. What do u all think please?

If you can find them, go for it. That may be the difficulty, finding them. I have frequently added hens to my flock, and been pleased with the addition. You do need to consider that while adult birds are sturdier, they can bring in disease to your current flock if you have one. Quarantine can be difficult to set up, and if you do not do it correctly, you may as well not do it at all. Research quarantine on here.

Chickens of all ages do die. Always it is the favorite that dies or the predator gets. I find I just accept that as a fact of life and focus on the living birds, but I do realize that not everyone can do this. If a chicken death is very hard on you, perhaps chicken keeping is not for you.

Mrs K

If you can find them, go for it. That may be the difficulty, finding them. I have frequently added hens to my flock, and been pleased with the addition. You do need to consider that while adult birds are sturdier, they can bring in disease to your current flock if you have one. Quarantine can be difficult to set up, and if you do not do it correctly, you may as well not do it at all. Research quarantine on here.

Chickens of all ages do die. Always it is the favorite that dies or the predator gets. I find I just accept that as a fact of life and focus on the living birds, but I do realize that not everyone can do this. If a chicken death is very hard on you, perhaps chicken keeping is not for you.

Mrs K

Are you breeding for production? If you are then I think you will understand the pain of waking up and seeing up to 20 chickens dead due to some outbreak or the other . That is painful. I think anything there is hardwork and something goes wrong, it is inevitable to feel bad then try to find a remedy somehow. I try to focus on the living birds too . Whew

Back
Top Bottom