Pointers on sexing Polish Chicks! new pics!!

I just wanted to say I think they are adorable
love.gif

sorry, can't help sex them....

Oh I know they are all so super cute!!
love.gif
My aunt and I are going share a few of them because she thinks my adult Roo, Stew is handsome!!
wink.png

Just wanted to repost to give all the Polish experts a chance....I getting ready to leave Ohio and head back to IL. And I'm separating chicks...I hope I get some hens,,,,Stew needs a woman!!

Knowing my luck I bought a box of all Roo's...LOL!! That would not make Stew happy least to say!!
barnie.gif

fl.gif

Thanks again to all that have helped so far!!
hugs.gif

My girls were way smaller. It was easiest to tell by their legs, the boys had really thick "strong" ones while the girls were more bird like. My girls were the one with the smaller crests too. One in middle is boy two silvers are girls.

19992_chicks005.jpg

That's a beautiful assortment of chicks!

Sometimes the crests can be tricky. I had a silver laced Polish who had a round hen looking crest, and even now it's not spiked. It's just shaggy as it's grown longer. The most obvious clues are the comb and wattles. Mine started getting wattles at 4-5 weeks. If you look right on the sides of the beak, you'll see a little red line forming where the wattles are starting to grow. One of my Polish cockerels got a V comb early on, but the other one didn't start getting a comb until around 8 or 9 weeks.

Here are a few threads I started about the sex of my Polish...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=133949

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=124554

Both of those Polish are roosters.

So.. I'm new to chickens, just got my first five last week, and was wondering if I could get some help on sexing my polish bellow... We were told he might be a rooster, but he's just so... un-rooster like. He's the second last in the pecking order, he is not very confident or perky, but is super sweet. Poor thing can't see very well, but I just couldn't resist that hilarious crest he has going on.. We have a polish hen that is supposed to be laying. However, no eggs have been found yet. She is the one with the black crest. If anyone could give me ideas on how to sex chickens better, I would appreciate it.

285025_2294813329229_1215953299_2756283_6963673_n.jpg

This is Carl.
smile.png

262535_2294788928619_1215953299_2756157_1269947_n.jpg

This is Wendy.

Thanks for your help!

I have not the foggiest but they are very pretty birds. How old are they?
smile.png

I have two polish chicks that are 5 weeks old. I also think I have one male and one female. My female? is a gold laced polish and is so ditsy she turns around and promptly gets lost. My male? has lost some of his head feathers from the other chicks pulling them out. It's not their fault but the male's. All of my chicks seem to be really layed back and aside from a few chest bumps get along really well. Then my male? polish chick will come along and peck a random chick hard on the back of the head and they will tear into him. He will fight them for a while and either look away and skulk off or run for his life. It takes him about 30 minutes to recover and then eventually he does the same thing all over again.
roll.png

Edited to add: My male? is a self black polish and .......

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Wendy is a couple months older than Carl, at around 6 or 7 months old. I think she said he was hatched in April... We purchased five chickens, all just before laying age. Our youngest is 12 weeks old, and the oldest is Wendy. They are all getting along remarkably well. My God are they ditzy though! Wendy is constantly cocking her head to the side to look at us with her one visible eye LOL. We cut Carl's crest tonight after some mud and rain made him look terrible. It's hilarious watching him look around like he's seeing the world for the first time. He was a lot easier to catch before I cut it though!
tongue.png

Very informative thanks. My polish chicks are 4 weeks, one has struted around from the start and fusses whenever we hold any other chick so we will be surprised if it turns out to be a hen! Got lovely pompom heads already, have black and silver white crested and a all creamy/white one we thought was a frizzle but not so sure at this stage! Will try to put up some pictures but they don't stay still long enough and have tried several times lol!

Back
Top Bottom