POISON in Feed!!!!

Eggnog101

Songster
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Because of the 2012 drought, high levels of toxins (alfatoxin, mycotoxin) have been found in corn crop. This can cause many problems in your chickens, especially with breeders. Commercially made feeds will sometimes contain toxin binders which will eliminate poisons but please check your labels. If you feed your chickens cracked corn or grind your own corn, please test it for poisons!

Please look alfatoxin and mycotoxin up on the internet. I know it's in some dog foods and the symptoms for dogs are:bloating (Which can kill them) loose stool, abdominal cramping, and death.

How can I test my feed for poison? I got my feed from a local feed store, do you think my feed is ok?
I'm sorry, I'm just spreading the word. I don't really know how to tell, you might need to ask a person on here who has had chickens longer than I have.

Please help me keep this at the top of the forum, so people can know what's happening~

I doubt that you'll have much problems out of commercial feed. But drought conditions causes a form of smut or rust infections on grain crops like wheat or corn. Rust or smut is a type of fungus. The spores from this fungus infection is the poison mentioned here. Some people speculate that the Salem, Mass. girls who accused their family and neighbors of being witches were driven crazy by eating this "poison" grain. Smut is always on grains but not in large or dangerous amounts.

If you save your own corn seeds, raise your own feed, or buy bulk corn from an unknown source there is a danger (but not a big one) that this corn will be contaminated. In Mexico still green smut infected ears of corn are sold as a delicacy. It is said to taste like mushrooms, not like chicken.
droolin.gif
Treating the seeds with a fungicide before planting will control smut but not rust and this treated corn or wheat will be 100% safe. Just saying.

I doubt that you'll have much problems out of commercial feed. But drought conditions causes a form of smut or rust infections on grain crops like wheat or corn. Rust or smut is a type of fungus. The spores from this fungus infection is the poison mentioned here. Some people speculate that the Salem, Mass. girls who accused their family and neighbors of being witches were driven crazy by eating this "poison" grain. Smut is always on grains but not in large or dangerous amounts.

If you save your own corn seeds, raise your own feed, or buy bulk corn from an unknown source there is a danger (but not a big one) that this corn will be contaminated. In Mexico still green smut infected ears of corn are sold as a delicacy. It is said to taste like mushrooms, not like chicken.
droolin.gif
Treating the seeds with a fungicide before planting will control smut but not rust and this treated corn or wheat will be 100% safe. Just saying.
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom