Poison Ivy around Coop

You might check out Crossbow. They say you can spray a pasture and the cows can be grazing on it the same day. Of course a cow is a little bigger than a chicken so I would definitely read the label. That being said, I would personally go the salt, vinegar and dish soap route. Enough salt in the ground and nothing will grow there for a few years, so keep that in mind too.
I've read you can just use vinegar, no salt needed. Haven't tried it yet.

I've tried vinegar on other things, not Poison Ivy. Just regular grass and weeds on a gravel driveway and gravel parking area. This was the regular vinegar you buy a the store, really weak. It did not work, I wound up using round-up to kill the grass and weeds. Maybe I would have had better results if I'd found some industrial strength vinegar instead of that 5% to 6% stuff you find at the grocery store.

If you do try something, please come back and give us an update on how it worked. Not what someone else said or something you read but your actual experiences. Your actual experiences have value.

I have used round-up on poison ivy. It knocked the vegetation back but the stuff still came back from the roots. I know it's not what you read will happen, round-up is supposed to kill the roots, but that was my experience. I now use a brush killer on poison ivy, hat seems to kill the roots. It does not kill seeds already in the ground that can sprout later. Birds can still deposit seeds, especially in fence rows where they perch. It is really challenging to permanently eradicate poison ivy, especially if it is growing and going to seed anywhere near, but you can make its life very hard.

I have nor seen where the OP, @kaboyer23 came back after the first post. I don't know if they got anything beneficial out of all this or not.

Used motor oil kills everything, and no way is it getting spread here! I'm leery of using the salt, and would love to avoid Roundup, especially because it takes more than one application. I might try the brush killing stuff on the new growth that I'm going to have soon.
Hate poison ivy!
Mary

Last edited:
The salt helps dry out the plant and the dish soap helps hold the vinegar/salt mixture on the plant it is sprayed.

Everything in our lives are made of chemicals but some are more hazardous than others.

I have not had a problem when spot spraying with the grass growing back.

The salt helps dry out the plant and the dish soap helps hold the vinegar/salt mixture on the plant it is sprayed.

Everything in our lives are made of chemicals but some are more hazardous than others.

I have not had a problem when spot spraying with the grass growing back.
I want to spray it on weeds and grass that are growing under some trees, but I'm afraid of damaging the trees. It's a group of fir trees. Anyone know if the salt will harm them?

I have 2 areas I am going to tackle this weekend. One is next to a large arbovite and one is under a very large beautiful yellow evergreen.

What has worked for me in the past and what I am going to do:

I have a dedicated "Poison Ivy killer" spray bottle. I will spray the ivy leaves close to them using some cardboard behind them to avoid it going on the good plants. I will then wait the days it takes for the ivy plant to turn brown and die. Then I will go in to uproot and pull out as much as I can.

That way it is more likely that the chemical will get down the plant to kill the roots before I pull them out. Hopefully then it won't grow back. Especially if there are any trace of root I miss.

However, the ivy is really under the evergreen and I am afraid that even if I touch the evergreen it may have some poison ivy oil on it. So....I am going to Home Depot and get one of those painters outfits that look like a hazardous material one and then throw it out afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom