Poison Ivy around Coop

https://www.bonide.com/assets/Products/Labels/l330.pdf I use this on Poison Ivy. I don't even worry about my chickens when I apply it and I have never had a problem with chickens getting sick when I use it. The label says its harmful to animals and humans but they are being overly cautious to avoid law suits, I have spilt the concentrate on me and the diluted version... not even a rash or any irritation. It evaporates fast. Unless your chickens are eating the poison ivy I doubt they ingest it after applied. Removing the roots is futile, the organic methods could take years if you have a big infestation. My nursery offers Poison Ivy removal as a service because I do it so much cheaper than landscapers. I may not always use that brand name, I will use any of the brand names that have the same active ingredients depending one what the garden shop has in stock when I buy it every spring. Just apply it in the morning before a hot clear day and before the sun goes down the leaves will be wilting and dying, by the next day it's dead, and shortly after that the vines and roots die too. If your infestation is really bad a 2nd application may be needed. you do not even need to to get every leaf. This product kills many different plants but not all plants.

I try to be organic but when it comes to Poison Ivy it can be futile, if there is any time to cheat its when it comes to Poison Ivy.

Our property is full of poison ivy. I cleared a huge patch where I built my run. It is due for another clearing around the run.
I just rip it out of the trees, whack the stuff on the ground with a push mower, cutters, scythe, whatever works. A dust mask helps.
I've done a LOT of it over the past year. The previous owners left the vines growing everywhere. The trees and ground were taken over with it. I don't get poison ivy much, even after working in it all day, so it bothers me much less than herbicides.

I don't get poison ivy much, even after working in it all day
Famous last words.

Long ago husband claimed the same as he 'gallantly' :rolleyes: cleared the cute neighbor girls' yard and gardens.
Well, there was some karma dealt soon after as he broke out so bad he had to go get prednisone.

I don't get it too bad either, but still have mucho respect for it...as in I don't touch it.

I have read somewhere a year or so ago that goats will devour poison ivy.

We have tons of it on our property but not up where we live and have fowl. I always kept that in mind though so if it spreads to up here, I knew what to use to get rid of it.

Don't know if they will pull up roots as they graze or not.

If you have a friend with goats, you may want to "borrow" a pair and see if they take care of this for you.

Was just gonna post to borrow a goat or 3. They'll devour the poison ivy right down to the ground, even yank some out for ya, and you'll just be left w digging out the roots. My former neighbors had a pretty bad patches of the stuff on their property. They tested various chemicals and sprays on one section and nothing worked so I loaned em some of my goats for the nonsprayed sections. Gone in a weekend down to the ground and my goats were happy. :)

the thing with poison ivy is that you have to get the chemical to the roots. Compost King's chemical that he uses has Trichlopyr in it, and that is what I have been told for years will kill poison ivy. It is sold singly as stump killer, as well.
If a person uses something like Round-up on it, it will kill off the leaves, but only temporarily because the roots are still alive.
To be safe, if your chickens visit the area, I think I would use that old spare chicken wire to cover the sprayed areas, and leave it there till the tops have died back. This would help keep kids and pets off the sprayed areas, too.
I once bought a goat to clear out an abandoned railroad right of way. It was an inpenetrable mess of poison ivy, briars and saplings. Worked pretty good but the goat gave me a mild case of poison ivy on my hands.:rolleyes:

Was just gonna post to borrow a goat or 3. They'll devour the poison ivy right down to the ground, even yank some out for ya, and you'll just be left w digging out the roots. My former neighbors had a pretty bad patches of the stuff on their property. They tested various chemicals and sprays on one section and nothing worked so I loaned em some of my goats for the nonsprayed sections. Gone in a weekend down to the ground and my goats were happy. :)
Did it grow back...or too soon to tell?
Do you have any concerns about transfer of the urushiol to you or anywhere else?
Wonders if it comes thru in the 'wash'....like, are their pellets 'contaminated'?

I bought two hazmat suits, complete with hoods, for $10 each at HD a few days ago. Get the ones rated for insecticide applications, because that stuff is also oily, so should protect from poison ivy.
It's been too hot to wear one and work on the poison ivy though!
Mary
Great to know. I didn't know there were different kinds. I will definitely look for the insecticide one. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom