Poison Ivy around Coop

Famous last words.

Long ago husband claimed the same as he 'gallantly' :rolleyes: cleared the cute neighbor girls' yard and gardens.
Well, there was some karma dealt soon after as he broke out so bad he had to go get prednisone.

I don't get it too bad either, but still have mucho respect for it...as in I don't touch it.

I didn't get any of it till I hit my late 30's. Now, I get a couple little spots once in awhile, that go away in a day. I work around it quite a bit, I'm clearing fence line on two property lines right now. Nowadays, I try not to waller in it, but I would rub it on me when I was a kid, just to show off.

Be care full you do not sensitize yourself to it.
I have a healthy respect for it, as I can get it a tiny bit now. I haven't had any in a year, though. I try to use gloves, and I always wear long pants, I'm not much on shorts. My forearms are usually what is exposed. Scratches and such are inevitable, when cutting trees, hauling brush, pulling vines, hacking goose berry bushes, and such. Honestly, pricklers, bark dust, cedar needles, and tree limbs aggravate my forearms much more than poison ivy does.

You do have to be careful touching their faces/heads especially for a couple of days if they've been in a really overgrown area of it and rubbing as they push through it. I did not see any contamination via pellets...no poison ivy showed up anywhere else on the property after they ate it. Of course there were still roots at first and some tried to grow back, but the vigor of the poison ivy plants seemed greatly diminished...just didn't have the same oomph. The neighbor then hacked out some roots and what he couldn't get he treated in the worst spots. Those places he didn't treat chemically were easily kept in check by the goats having a wee meal every few weeks or so in the growing season. I moved a bit of fence so the goats could reach through to nibble his patch along the fence line and they routinely ate it down on their own.

Did it grow back...or too soon to tell?
Do you have any concerns about transfer of the urushiol to you or anywhere else?
Wonders if it comes thru in the 'wash'....like, are their pellets 'contaminated'?

Back
Top Bottom