Poison Ivy around Coop

https://www.bonide.com/assets/Products/Labels/l330.pdf I use this on Poison Ivy. I don't even worry about my chickens when I apply it and I have never had a problem with chickens getting sick when I use it. The label says its harmful to animals and humans but they are being overly cautious to avoid law suits, I have spilt the concentrate on me and the diluted version... not even a rash or any irritation. It evaporates fast. Unless your chickens are eating the poison ivy I doubt they ingest it after applied. Removing the roots is futile, the organic methods could take years if you have a big infestation. My nursery offers Poison Ivy removal as a service because I do it so much cheaper than landscapers. I may not always use that brand name, I will use any of the brand names that have the same active ingredients depending one what the garden shop has in stock when I buy it every spring. Just apply it in the morning before a hot clear day and before the sun goes down the leaves will be wilting and dying, by the next day it's dead, and shortly after that the vines and roots die too. If your infestation is really bad a 2nd application may be needed. you do not even need to to get every leaf. This product kills many different plants but not all plants.

I try to be organic but when it comes to Poison Ivy it can be futile, if there is any time to cheat its when it comes to Poison Ivy.

You do have to be careful touching their faces/heads especially for a couple of days if they've been in a really overgrown area of it and rubbing as they push through it. I did not see any contamination via pellets...no poison ivy showed up anywhere else on the property after they ate it. Of course there were still roots at first and some tried to grow back, but the vigor of the poison ivy plants seemed greatly diminished...just didn't have the same oomph. The neighbor then hacked out some roots and what he couldn't get he treated in the worst spots. Those places he didn't treat chemically were easily kept in check by the goats having a wee meal every few weeks or so in the growing season. I moved a bit of fence so the goats could reach through to nibble his patch along the fence line and they routinely ate it down on their own.

Did it grow back...or too soon to tell?
Do you have any concerns about transfer of the urushiol to you or anywhere else?
Wonders if it comes thru in the 'wash'....like, are their pellets 'contaminated'?

I have lots of poison ivy plants near my chicken coop. I’m wanting to spray the plants to get rid of them since we’re working on clearing out that area (next to the coop). But if I buy and use a spray from the store... wouldn’t those chemicals hurt or kill my chickens? Just from the scent of if the wind took some of the spray to the run area.
Any suggestions on how to get rid of the poison ivy without hurting or killing my girls would be appreciated!
Dig it up making sure you get the roots.;)

You might check out Crossbow. They say you can spray a pasture and the cows can be grazing on it the same day. Of course a cow is a little bigger than a chicken so I would definitely read the label. That being said, I would personally go the salt, vinegar and dish soap route. Enough salt in the ground and nothing will grow there for a few years, so keep that in mind too.

The salt helps dry out the plant and the dish soap helps hold the vinegar/salt mixture on the plant it is sprayed.

Everything in our lives are made of chemicals but some are more hazardous than others.

I have not had a problem when spot spraying with the grass growing back.

Our property is full of poison ivy. I cleared a huge patch where I built my run. It is due for another clearing around the run.
I just rip it out of the trees, whack the stuff on the ground with a push mower, cutters, scythe, whatever works. A dust mask helps.
I've done a LOT of it over the past year. The previous owners left the vines growing everywhere. The trees and ground were taken over with it. I don't get poison ivy much, even after working in it all day, so it bothers me much less than herbicides.

Back
Top Bottom