poison ivy, home remedies maybe?

can you hear me now?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Southwest Missouri
Hi all over the last three years or so I have become quite allergic to poison ivy. Well I have it again. Anyone have any tried and try methods to get rid of it? I really don't want the shots and pills again.

The trick to getting rid of poison ivy is drying it out. My son can't walk by plant without getting a vicious case. This is going to sound disgusting, but this is what we do and it does work.

this has to be done one blister at a time so it does not spread.

pop blister and drain the poison

apply rubbing alcohol (yes, it's going to burn a little)

When you are done popping, draining and disinfecting apply cornstarch.

Cornstarch is an excellent drying agent.

going for a swim in a chlorinated pool before applying the cornstarch is also effective.

sorry your dealing with this.. it is terrible I know... if you have land and it has poison ivy the best way to get ride of it is too get a goat. they will eat it all and for some reason it does not affect them.. Also the baking soda does work.. HOT shower then baking soda paste and take some benadryl...

Quote:
No.it doesn't sound disgusting, the first bad case I had gave me poison ivy under the already weeping poison ivy and hen under it a time or two more. This would be welcomed if it works. The other thing is I think I can't get very close either because I know for sure what it looks like and haven't actually touched it in a long time. Same with poison sumac and poison oak. Hope I don't get it too much more it really sucks and spreads pretty fast on me.

This is going to sound nuts, and it doesn't CURE poison ivy, but it does give you some relief.

Get the hot water going in your shower or your kitchen sprayer. As hot as you can stand it, just not enough to really scald you but hotter than you would be able to take in the shower. You don't want to damage your skin, but it should be pretty hot. Run water ONLY over poison ivy spots. It's going to itch like wildfire for about 30 seconds and if the water is super hot, keep sticking the spot in and out of the water. Once it stops itching, you can stop. It will not itch for at least a few hours.

The reason this method works is that the hot water causes all the nerves to fire rapidly. Our nerves only have a limited amount of the chemical needed to fire, and it takes a few hours to replenish. That's why the itching will stop for a while.

It's the only thing I've found that helps. Keeps me from going crazy and lets it heal.

Ugh- I get it too. My uncle (who gets it really bad) told me about these little homeopathic pills. I've been using them for the last 2 summers and I think they work. If I get any, it's only a blister or two.

The pills are: Washington Homeopathic Products, RhusTox 4X. The website is www.homeopathyworks.com

I buy them at my small town pharmacy. They keep them behind the counter. I take them for 1 week in the spring (2, 2X a day), then wait 30 days and do it again. I also do a round if I'm going to be in it at all. (They cost around $6 per bottle of 100)

(I live in a forest of poison ivy...)

I also be very very careful to wash like crazy when I'm weeding and working outside. I don't touch anything, and come in and wash under lukewarm water with antibacterial soap to get all the oil off of my skin.

This has been successful for me. Good luck

I find tea tree oil dries it up really good....my son and myself are allergic to it. I am so allergic and have had to battle it for over 15 years. I know the 'itch' before the RASH shows up and thus start the tea tree oil immediatley!!! Take ALOT of tea tree oil on a cotton ball and apply at least 4 times a day till it dries up.

I used green tea in my bath. I know it sounds odd but it gave me some relief. I usually end up at the Doctors mine gets so bad. Blisters the size of quarters.
20760_itchingsmiley.gif
It's gross. I haven't had it for years though since I had some kind of shot. Don't remember what it was.

I just thought of another one vinegar.
Calamine lotion.
Aloe plant sap

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom