Quality Rat Poisons in the UK?

bunandpancake

Chirping
Jun 6, 2020
Unfortunately, we have a huge rat problem with our ducks, I've never had an infestation this bad. We have a movable run and we move it every week, which used to be a very good deterrent, but now they seem to be invading on the same day, and short of cementing underneath the run (which isn't practical for us), I think we are going to have to look into poison.

I prefer the idea of a D3 poison like the Terad3 from Bell labs, ideally anything to reduce the environmental damage of the poison. My only problem is that I cannot seem to find anywhere in the UK that sells it, or any D3 poison advertised as a low danger to other animals. Does anyone living in the UK have poison recommendations (or any other methods, the poison really is a last resort but there are so many that I can't see another route)?

Thank you all!

I do believe some of the regulations on purchasing rat bait have changed. We have a local BATA that sells poison but only the blocks now and not the loose bait. Not sure what kind the blocks is but it’s not as good. We now live trap and shoot the Rolands with the air gun. Do you know anyone who shoots? Some will come and shoot them for you.

Have you thought about getting a pest control expert in for advice? I know it’s more pricey but I think they can use the better poison with being registered and regulated.

Are you set on a temporary run? Perhaps building a permanent run that is fenced with 6mm hardware cloth, including a 2ft apron out, might help? and absolutely no food out after they finish eating, no free feeding? I feel for you. they are smart creatures, but if there is no food - they will move on.

Stop feeding the rats and they leave. Works every time unless you have other sources of food set out for them. You are going to need a treadle feeder and there are few in the U.K. that are any good. Look for an inward swinging door, spring loaded door, and a narrow and distant treadle. You might have to modify one of the commercial treadle feeders available. Avoid the Chinese made Grandpa feeder and any of the Chinese made clones, find that inward swinging door.

Back
Top Bottom