Poison Ivy -- UPDATE -- I found something that really works

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by herefordlovinglady, May 17, 2010.

  1. herefordlovinglady

    herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

    Jun 23, 2009
    I was working in the yard last week and starting on friday, i have broken out into some kind of rash. i really do not remember coming into contact with poison ivy, but the rash sure looks and feels like it. I was wondering if it was possible to have something from where i cut back the shrubs around the house. [​IMG]

    also any cures would be wonderful. [​IMG] the itch is driving me crazy it is itching so bad it hurts.
    Last edited: May 19, 2010

  2. chicmom

    chicmom Dances with Chickens

    Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh boy, I am so sorry as I know how you're feeling right now! I get poison ivy rash or poison oak every summer! It's awful! Now, of course you want to try not to scratch at all costs! There are some products they carry at the drug store or walmart that are helpful, they have some stuff called Ivy Dry, or calamine lotion--it's pink, or there is Calamine Clear, which dries clear. It's also good to take some Benadryl too, which helps stop the itching, and they also have Benadryl lotions.

    Unfortunately, there's no real cure, and poison ivy rash just has to run it's course. Now, if you get real bad, you can go to the doctor and get a steriod packed.........

    Also, take cool showers....if you take a hot shower, then it will act up and itch more......There are also some oatmeal bath powders that you can put in the tub and soak in......

    Good luck!
  3. jbowyer01

    jbowyer01 Just Me!

    Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I'm very allergic to poison ivy. When I do get it I wash it off very well and use an anti-itch cream (I like goldbond) and then I put goldpond medicated powder in it to help dry it out. Its true though it kinda has to run its course, steroids help but I hate taking them, prednisone makes me very mood [​IMG].

    I forgot to add what ever washcloth or towel you use make sure to put it into the washer away from everyone. You dont want to share it.
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  4. herefordlovinglady

    herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

    Jun 23, 2009
    my boss told me to put bleach in the rash. sounds like it would really burn. but she says she does it.
  5. jbowyer01

    jbowyer01 Just Me!

    Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Ill do that too but I'm sure its not really healthy. Ill put some in a bucket with water. It seems to help.

  6. biddybird

    biddybird Songster

    May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Sorry to hear about the poison ivy. We deal with Ivy, Oak and Sumac here all the time. I have allergies and took Alavert for my sneezing and stuffiness. I had been clearing around my garden and had a rash with itching on my arm and knew I probably had gotten into one of the vines. After taking the Alavert I noticed the itching stopped and the redness went away. I did some research(google) and Alavert contains Loratadine. If you look it up it is also for allergies on the skin. You can buy Loratadine by itself as a tablet. I actually used it again this weekend for the same thing and it cleared right up. Good Luck!!

    Also need to add, be careful with the bleach. I put bleach on a break out that was really bad around 4 years ago. Caused a terrible chemical burn. Worse that the ivy. I would try adding about a cup to bath water, my sons were using that method prior to the Loratadine.
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  7. The Egg Bandit

    The Egg Bandit Songster

    Jan 8, 2010
    I Jewelweed grows in your area, crush the stems for juice to rub on the rash. Works well at soothing and seems to produce an immunity. I haven't had a poison ivy rash in 25 years since I did it. [​IMG] Just last week I rubbed against some poison ivy before I realized what I was doing.
    Good luck!
  8. jendh

    jendh In the Brooder

    Jan 18, 2010
    I had my oldest to the Dr with Poison Ivy on her face a few weeks ago. He recommended rubbing an ice cube on the rash when it's really itchy. He also told us to dry it up with rubbing alcohol. DD says it stings like crazy but she's tough and it did dry it up pretty quick.
  9. Mattemma

    Mattemma Crowing

    Aug 12, 2009
    I have used the jewel weed plant too. I have seen soaps and ointments with this stuff in it,but it is expensive.When I have gotten rashes I have taken extra vitC and put caledula cream or herbs for kids Super salve on the rash. I often scratch and end up healing faster,but I make sure I clean myself properly so I don't cause an infection.

  10. greenfamilyfarms

    greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

    Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Is it weeping (leaking fluid)? That's a classic sign of poison ivy, sumac, oak etc. The pink calamine lotion will help. There is also some over the counter meds (such as Bendryl gel and spray) that will be a huge relief. The spray is better since you don't have to rub it in.


BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by