Poison Parsnip?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by hcammack, Aug 11, 2010.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Has anyone ever had this is photosensitive and it forms huge blisters. I thought I was careful about washing and putting sunscreen on after I went through it but I have it on one of my arms and a leg. Has anyone ever had it. I think it has other names but its in the parsnip family.

Henry

2. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    It's called wild parsnip - if you get any of the sap on you and expose it to the sun, it will blister. It looks like queen anne's lace with a yellow flower - it is an invasive species. [​IMG]

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Yep thats the one its terrible all over the sides of the roads here in upstate NY. I was working on a farm and was fencing and ended up walking through a whole patch of it and getting the sap on my arm and legs. I should have been wearing long pants oh well lesson learned! I did wash as much as I could.

Henry

4. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Been there, diced some up with a weedeater once.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    There is also another plant with similar leaves and flowers called giant hogweed that likes it a little wetter. Poison parsnip is more common and generally grows along the road. Hogweed flowers are white and parsnip are yellow. Both can be nasty--if you get the sap on you wash it off immediately. BTW, poison parsnip is sometimes called hogweed but this is a misnomer.

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    double post, sorry:(

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by