Poisonous snakes and chickens.

Kelleysclucks

Chirping
Jun 3, 2020
Are chickens instinctively aware of the dangers of snakes? My chickens were raised by me not a hen. I just read this is the time of year copperhead babies are "born". I live in northwest Georgia.

No, they don't recognize poisonous vs. non-posionous. If the birds is mature ( a large bird) the snake will most likely not attempt to make a meal of it...chicks yes!
I've had many Copperhead and Rattlesnakes get in my pens, none have attempted to make a meal of my birds. They were more interested in the mice.

The only snakes that have gotten my birds is a Bullsnake. Quail and 6 week old pheasants have become a meal for a Bullsnake but once it swallowed the bird, it couldn't get back out of the pen, so it met it's demise by lead poisoning.(.22LR). :D

I don't know the answer .....

I do know, however, that my birds free range through areas I don't care to go into because they are infested with copperheads. I haven't had a problem yet, but I don't know why ! They seemingly have had to encounter them at some point.

It also seems that the chickens somehow keep the snakes away, as I used to find copperheads frequently around the house and barn, but haven't seen any since the chooks have been ranging the area.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

I have seen, and dealt with big black snakes around the coop though. I've even seen the chickens step right over these bigger snakes, like they weren't even there !!!

My flock is great about knowing when a predator is around before I even have an idea. Rooster help watch for predators. I'm curious if the chickens are more aware than we realize of all predators in their area including snakes.
The only snakes around here are garter snakes. I have witnessed the flock attack and eat a small garter snake. I'm not a fan of snakes at all, I will go the opposite direction of where they are at. This fall, I lifted some old wood panels and I saw a 4' garter snake... okay it may have been closer to 2' but I didn't want to hang around to measure it... it was spooked and I haven't seen it since.

My flock is great about knowing when a predator is around before I even have an idea. Rooster help watch for predators. I'm curious if the chickens are more aware than we realize of all predators in their area including snakes.
The only snakes around here are garter snakes. I have witnessed the flock attack and eat a small garter snake. I'm not a fan of snakes at all, I will go the opposite direction of where they are at. This fall, I lifted some old wood panels and I saw a 4' garter snake... okay it may have been closer to 2' but I didn't want to hang around to measure it... it was spooked and I haven't seen it since.
Amazing how much they grow in relation to the amount of adrenaline that is pumped into your system! :lol: the snakes in my pens are always at least 6' :gigand this is me, when I have an encounter with them!
cartoon-character-run-away-28814743.jpg

Amazing how much they grow in relation to the amount of adrenaline that is pumped into your system! :lol: the snakes in my pens are always at least 6' :gigand this is me, when I have an encounter with them!
View attachment 2350148
I am so glad it isn't just me!!
I can just picture the right side of this picture! An itty bitty snake chuckling (or laughter hissing) because I saw the shadow of him and the shadow made the snake look like an anaconda!

I am so glad it isn't just me!!
I can just picture the right side of this picture! An itty bitty snake chuckling (or laughter hissing) because I saw the shadow of him and the shadow made the snake look like an anaconda!
I hate snakes...almost as much as raccoons. They make me hurt myself trying to get away from them! :gig

Yeah, snakes come for the mice, stay for the chicks and eggs. Dealing with a rodent problem also prevents many other problems like predators hanging around a coop.

I don't know the answer .....

I do know, however, that my birds free range through areas I don't care to go into because they are infested with copperheads. I haven't had a problem yet, but I don't know why ! They seemingly have had to encounter them at some point.

It also seems that the chickens somehow keep the snakes away, as I used to find copperheads frequently around the house and barn, but haven't seen any since the chooks have been ranging the area.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

I have seen, and dealt with big black snakes around the coop though. I've even seen the chickens step right over these bigger snakes, like they weren't even there !!!
It must be the breed of chicken you have. My chickens do not seem to even see the snakes around my property.
My wife just pulled a King snake off a nesting box with two broody hens sitting on the eggs. When she started pulling on the snake one of the hens realized the snake was in the process of swallowing an egg. When my wife forced the snake to drop the egg the hen started pecking the snake in the head.
My rooster fought off a fox but couldn't care less about the snake in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom