Poke?

rizq

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Tennessee
I about had a heart attack when I went down to the pen today. All kinds of red poo everywhere. They acted healthy, but I thought my chickens were very sick and pooping blood. Nope. They've been eating poke berries.

Will poke or its berries hurt the birds? They seem to really like them and they don't seem to bother wild birds. I have heard that poke is poison, though.

If poke is poison to us and not the birds, is this something that would make eating the eggs a problem?

Thanks

That is scary!! I wish I had an answer for you but I am too new to this.
sad.png

I know from reading that birds eat polk berries. It isn't the flesh that is poisonous but, the seeds. Wild birds do not eat the seeds as they pass through their digestive tract. Can't find any information on chickens though.

It is true that the UNCOOKED leaves and berries can be mildly toxic to humans; cooked leaves are fine, but I've never heard of the berries being toxic to birds. They go after them here like candy.

ETA: it isn't "polk salad" as many people think, it is "poke salet"
smile.png

Last edited:
Yeah, poke salad or poke salet are made from the leaves thrice boiled with clean water each time.

I won't worry about them eating the berries them. I didn't think they would hurt them, but wasn't entirely sure and was a little concerned about the eggs
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom