POL newbie with a cold?

Thanks for responding :)

They get a fair few mealworms and the fruit, veg, cheese.... I even gave them some bits of kipper but I was concerned that a little bone might have crept in and that could be the cause of the cough, who knows.........

They are on an organic layers pellets (always available) and some organic mixed corn. I think that on its own would be ok, the extras are just nice. I make them little concoctions in the day - but can't think of much else on the protein front other than mealworms. Maybe some pulses?

Some are laying, I have a couple of Sussex hens which seem to be a little older, they're going for it. Eggs are generally great, one of the Sussex hens seems to lay a few double yolkers. All eggs look good but there have been a couple of ones which haven't shelled - but they do have grit and cooked ground shells in the run at all times. I haven't seen which one this is, difficult to keep an eye. Two, possibly 3 in 4 weeks.
A lot of folks on here suggest feeding only their feed if they are having issues, since the nutrition in the feed gets diluted by the other foods, and chickens may not be getting the proper ratios of what they need. I wouldn't go that far to never give chickens scraps, because I think eating vegetables is important, too, but it may be appropriate at times to cut everything else out.

You definitely want to be careful feeding them foods that are high in fat or salt, though. Those two things can stress their organs, and shorten their lifespans. There was a great article on here about this topic, but I can't find it. I will get it to you if I can find it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom