POL newbie with a cold?

RomiT

Hatching
May 24, 2023
Hi there - I have had many batches of chickens over the years, the last 3 batches were from ex-battery so a totally different ball game!

I just got 8 girls just POL and (for some strange reason that only the mad lady who inhabits my head could explain) this time I got a cockerel. Cockerel came 2 days after the hens and I got him from a house where they'd hatched 3, they had 2 cockerels and only 2 hens so they were fighting. He's 10 months.

Anyhoo - I have 2 issues I wonder if anyone can shed any light on please!

1) one of my girls has had a cough / sneeze (the weather here in the UK at the moment is getting cold and hot, not great for babies). She is good, eating and drinking, mooching around but cough/sneezing a lot. She will get fluffed up and close her eyes though on occasions which I know isn't great. I did bring her in last night and have her in my utility room, she seems ok. I've been really feeding them up with loads of fresh veg and fruit, making polenta pies with lots of turmeric, some seaweed, chili flakes, all sorts of things that should boost the immune system. The others all seem to be fine.

I went a bit mad on the coup at the weekend as it had been empty for a while (we had obviously prepared it for the new lot). I cleaned it really well, ripped up the floor and laid new, put diatomaceous earth all around the corners (can't see mites but best to be sure). The lid to the egg section was a bit mushy and I didn't get a chance to replace so before they came I covered it all up and taped it so there should not be any spores. (I need to get someone in to do that replacement).

Is there anything else I should do? So she is in now, I've given her some cooked egg with a few good things in too, I've put some MMS in her water, she seems happy enough. I've even got 2 halves of an onion in the crate which is an old cure for chest infections! Any other ideas??

2) Another question - cockerel. He is SO noisy. He constantly crows - when in and out. From 4am it is full on, then even when they're out he'll crow for ages at a time. He seems ok, he's not worried about anything, I often go out to check (actually the little lad when I collected him made a comment about him being the noisy one!). If I can't find a way to help him then he might have to go - I will probably get lynched by my neighbours (who would be fine with the normal amount of crowing) and also I haven't slept past 4am since we've had him.

I might create a new post about him, I wonder if he has scaly leg or something wrong. Could that be making him crow a lot? He has some rawness on his leg which I initially thought was an injury from his last house. I will take some photos.

Sorry for the word vomit, I'm more worried about the little girl (Queenie) at the moment. Thanks so much!!

Welcome to BYC! :frow

I had some thoughts, but hopefully some folks that are more experienced with respiratory ailments will hop on soon enough.

1) The first thing I thought was, how is the ventilation in the coop? That could be working against us here.

2) You want to make sure anything you give to them is actually good for chickens, as the things that boost our immune system doesn't always work the same way in their bodies, and a couple are toxic to them, like onions (but I'll bet they aren't eating them). Sadly, you also can't always believe articles that people write on the internet about topics such as that. A lot of people don't have a lot of experience, and come to false conclusions and then write articles about it. Asking on here is the best thing that I have found to do.

3) Diatomaceous earth can actually irritate their respiratory systems, and a lot of folks on here question it's effectiveness. If they are not kicking it around, I doubt that this is where the issue lies as far as the coughing and sneezing, but I wanted to make sure you knew.

4) I think it is a good idea to keep her separate from the others as well. If it gets any worse you will want to give her an antibiotic. There is an antibiotic called tylan that many folks on here recommend for respiratory ailments in chickens. You may want to look into where you could get some while we wait for other's opinions.

As for the rooster, I would guess he is feeling kind of strange since he was just moved to a new place with new flock mates. I haven't experienced this, but my intuition is telling me that he is crowing a lot because he hasn't yet adjusted to that big of a change. I am hoping for you that he calms down and doesn't crow as much in the coming weeks.

That said, some roosters do just crow all the time. I have heard of some people trying to do something when that happens, but none of the solutions sounded ideal. I am hoping that it just gets better when a few weeks pass.

Yes, that would be great if you posted a thread about his leg. Please get some pictures if at all possible, that helps to not make it guess work.

I'll be praying for your Queenie. :fl

Do you think he could be doing it more since he just moved there recently, like he is trying to declare his dominance over the place? I could have sworn that I heard stories about that, but I don't want to give the poster false hope.

I would say in my experience (currently have 7 roos in different pens) that crowing gets worse instead of better with comfort. Even though it's a new place, he has a lot to feel happy about - he "won" hens of his own after having to compete with another rooster. It's no different than establishing his own territory in the jungle with a stolen harem.

What keeps them in check is fear of another, dominant roo, or circumstances like being put in a cage.

I recognize & appreciate that you want to give the OP good news :hugs but I think on the matter of crowing it's going to get worse instead of better :oops:

For wee-hours crowing the only way to diminish it, is to limit the light levels reaching the coop. Some roos will still crow in the pitch dark, while others will be quiet all night.

It's hard to say what may be wrong with her. Are any of them laying yet, and if so what do the eggs look like?

I know it's a different ballgame for you guys across the pond when it comes to feed, but if you can find a nice balanced grower type feed with good protein, that would better for her than lots of veggies which are low in protein.

As for the roo, they don't crow from distress but out of authority as a territorial declaration. Meaning the more comfortable he is, the more he will crow, pretty much. Some roosters crow less / quieter, and some roosters crow more / louder. The noise he's making now will continue.

As for the roo, they don't crow from distress but out of authority as a territorial declaration. Meaning the more comfortable he is, the more he will crow, pretty much. Some roosters crow less / quieter, and some roosters crow more / louder. The noise he's making now will continue.
Do you think he could be doing it more since he just moved there recently, like he is trying to declare his dominance over the place? I could have sworn that I heard stories about that, but I don't want to give the poster false hope.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

I had some thoughts, but hopefully some folks that are more experienced with respiratory ailments will hop on soon enough.

1) The first thing I thought was, how is the ventilation in the coop? That could be working against us here.

2) You want to make sure anything you give to them is actually good for chickens, as the things that boost our immune system doesn't always work the same way in their bodies, and a couple are toxic to them, like onions (but I'll bet they aren't eating them). Sadly, you also can't always believe articles that people write on the internet about topics such as that. A lot of people don't have a lot of experience, and come to false conclusions and then write articles about it. Asking on here is the best thing that I have found to do.

3) Diatomaceous earth can actually irritate their respiratory systems, and a lot of folks on here question it's effectiveness. If they are not kicking it around, I doubt that this is where the issue lies as far as the coughing and sneezing, but I wanted to make sure you knew.

4) I think it is a good idea to keep her separate from the others as well. If it gets any worse you will want to give her an antibiotic. There is an antibiotic called tylan that many folks on here recommend for respiratory ailments in chickens. You may want to look into where you could get some while we wait for other's opinions.

As for the rooster, I would guess he is feeling kind of strange since he was just moved to a new place with new flock mates. I haven't experienced this, but my intuition is telling me that he is crowing a lot because he hasn't yet adjusted to that big of a change. I am hoping for you that he calms down and doesn't crow as much in the coming weeks.

That said, some roosters do just crow all the time. I have heard of some people trying to do something when that happens, but none of the solutions sounded ideal. I am hoping that it just gets better when a few weeks pass.

Yes, that would be great if you posted a thread about his leg. Please get some pictures if at all possible, that helps to not make it guess work.

I'll be praying for your Queenie. :fl
Thanks so much for this. I had covered the vents because of the crowing, that was only a few days ago when I thought it might help. I'd actually been browsing the forum this morning and a few posts were talking about the importance of ventilation so I've taken the covers off already. I don't think it had helped anyway, he crows from 4am but is quiet up until then!

I think he's pretty well settled now and he just likes the sound of his own voice (eye roll!). I do think this is just the way he is because there was that comment when i picked him up - but I'll give him a little more time just in case. Heaven knows what I'll do with him :-(.

I'm a huge fan of diatomaceous earth but always pretty careful about inhalation. My dogs get it in their food every day but mixed in, a great intestinal scourer. I put it down post Queenies cough though and I put it underneath a cover I've put in the coup on the floor, in case there was anything I could not see. I have put some down for them to bathe in but that's all mixed in to the earth now and again pre-dated Queenie.

I will look at foods too. She seems fine now she's inside, aside from the odd weird noise. I was actually wondering whether some bits of kipper I gave them a while ago might have had a small bone and that has got stuck - I've looked into her mouth though and can't see anything. I'm not sure what I could do about that.

Poops are textbook great though, that is something. If she was poorly I'm sure they would be affected.

Thanks so much for responding,

I would say in my experience (currently have 7 roos in different pens) that crowing gets worse instead of better with comfort. Even though it's a new place, he has a lot to feel happy about - he "won" hens of his own after having to compete with another rooster. It's no different than establishing his own territory in the jungle with a stolen harem.

What keeps them in check is fear of another, dominant roo, or circumstances like being put in a cage.

I recognize & appreciate that you want to give the OP good news :hugs but I think on the matter of crowing it's going to get worse instead of better :oops:

For wee-hours crowing the only way to diminish it, is to limit the light levels reaching the coop. Some roos will still crow in the pitch dark, while others will be quiet all night.
I think you are right - he seems very settled, just very "cock sure"!! I covered the vents to keep out the light which isn't ideal, that was just a week ago and I've removed the cover now because of ventilation importance (thanks to the forum!). I don't think it had helped, he still started at 4am although quiet as a mouse until then. He does calm in the day for periods, then when he goes, he goes............ Little bugger. I need to speak chicken and tell him he'll be losing his home if he continues :-(

It's hard to say what may be wrong with her. Are any of them laying yet, and if so what do the eggs look like?

I know it's a different ballgame for you guys across the pond when it comes to feed, but if you can find a nice balanced grower type feed with good protein, that would better for her than lots of veggies which are low in protein.

Thanks for responding :)

They get a fair few mealworms and the fruit, veg, cheese.... I even gave them some bits of kipper but I was concerned that a little bone might have crept in and that could be the cause of the cough, who knows.........

They are on an organic layers pellets (always available) and some organic mixed corn. I think that on its own would be ok, the extras are just nice. I make them little concoctions in the day - but can't think of much else on the protein front other than mealworms. Maybe some pulses?

Some are laying, I have a couple of Sussex hens which seem to be a little older, they're going for it. Eggs are generally great, one of the Sussex hens seems to lay a few double yolkers. All eggs look good but there have been a couple of ones which haven't shelled - but they do have grit and cooked ground shells in the run at all times. I haven't seen which one this is, difficult to keep an eye. Two, possibly 3 in 4 weeks.

I was actually wondering whether some bits of kipper I gave them a while ago might have had a small bone and that has got stuck
That is called stridor. Try to look up a video of a chicken with it. It can seem like a resp. ailment, but it is a little different. Stridor doesn't typically have and fluids excreted from their eyes or nose.

I think you are right - he seems very settled, just very "cock sure"!! I covered the vents to keep out the light which isn't ideal, that was just a week ago and I've removed the cover now because of ventilation importance (thanks to the forum!). I don't think it had helped, he still started at 4am although quiet as a mouse until then. He does calm in the day for periods, then when he goes, he goes............ Little bugger. I need to speak chicken and tell him he'll be losing his home if he continues :-(
Mine started at 3am this morning! I couldn't believe it. The solistice is making that worse right now, but my roosters have sometimes piped up in the middle of the night for no apparent reason other times of the year, too.

I would probably just have a talk with your neighbors about him. They will really appreciate it, and may be more forgiving because of it. Bring a dozen eggs for them when you go. 😏

Back
Top Bottom