Polish and Sultan Babies...can you help me make some "guesses" on sex?

okay...so there are a few pics - albeit not good ones...lol...so...does anyone want to hazard a guess on any of these chicks? Lets hear it!

Chick #1 - my guess is Roo Chick # 2 - possibly pullet Chick # 3 (white crested) possibly pullet Chick #4 (black) likely Roo Jeanette
okay...had trouble getting pics today - could only get them when they were in their run so its through hardware cloth and now having trouble downloading pics...anyway, lets see if I can do this - it might take seperate posts so....here is chick No. 1 - I can't see any comb but...this is the largest chick...does do the chest bump...and the stretch...??? - but again...this one has much more of a "poufy" crest at this point then a couple of the others (the other white and one of the blacks)...???

Thank you for looking and giving feedback...common sense tells me that the largest one is probably a Roo...(#1) and that the smaller white one (#2) would probably be a pullet because it is smaller but...the larger has a fuller crest (which I've heard some say is often a pullet) and I can't see any comb while the smaller has a mohawk and is showing a pink comb already...and...of course...the friendliest, most docile and most handleable one is #1 so is my favorite so I WANT it to be a pullet...lol...which means it probably is a Roo as you guessed...ugh...I do think #3 is a pullet also...and that #4 is a roo...we shall see in another few weeks when crowing starts...(about when does that normally start?)...

They can start crowing between 6-8 weeks of age.
My Sultan roo seems slightly smaller than the hen if that helps.
Her pouf is more rounded & prettier - mohawk definitely describes the roo!

Jeanette

These guys are four weeks so...perhaps not long now for the crowing - I hope that it is that way here as well...I'd love it if #1 was a pullet...:) but...it will be what it will be - I did go today and got another four babies...from some sexed pullets...at least they are 95% accurate! :) Will let you know what I end up with with the foofy kids...thank you so much for your help!

you might be waiting a little longer than that for a crow...i have talked to people that have waited almost a year for a crow and longer for an egg from these guys! i have 3 polish in the brooder right now, all about 3 weeks old at the moment...not quite as featherd as your are.

this is a pic of my red polish, Midas, and he was sexed as a roo, but we will see.

this this is my silver-laced polish, joan. Should be a pullet and is starting to develop a beard. she is about 2 weeks old in this pic...

I also have a white crested black as well, but dont have any pics of that one yet! pretty excited to see how these guys turn out...they are definately more flighty/jumpy than the other chicks i have growing...hope thats not a sign of things to come

Last edited:
well...and there ya go...it could be forever before they begin to crow which means...I will get REALLY attached and then be in major trouble...lol...such is the life of chicken keeping yes? Thank you for the info...!

Back
Top Bottom