Polish as a laying flock

HeritageHenNut

Songster
7 Years
Dec 20, 2015
Valhalla, AB, Canada
Hi, just getting started with my first chickens and I was lucky to find a breeder with some absolutely gorgeous Polish near my home. I've got 8 Buff-laced, and a single Golden-laced chick. Talking with her it sounds like her hens are good layers, and I'm wondering what everyone else's experience is with Polish? How many eggs do your girls lay a week on average? Are they consistent or do they go in spurts and starts? Has anyone had much luck breeding for egg production or does everyone just keep them for exhibition?

Generally speaking, they are not a very productive lot --- the ones I have had in the past have been good for 3 (ish) eggs a week per bird and were often the first to stop/last to start with each laying cycle.

Thanks for the reply. Just curious to see. I love their little personalities, just deciding on whether I need to add a more reliable laying breed to keep the eggs coming. :)

Sounds like what you need to do is get both (I'm a great enabler, lol) We had them as eye candy within our laying flock, so what eggs we did get were just a good bonus.

LOL, yes, please enable me.
wink.png
I'm planning to add some Silver-Gray Dorkings in the spring but was thinking that it might be an interesting project since historically they were good laying hens.

Back
Top Bottom