Polish babies, Need help identifying.

Woods_Woman

Songster
11 Years
Oct 21, 2009
Oregon Rain Forest
Hello I won a polish egg auction here, and out of the 8 eggs, I had 2 that hatched. The auction was for w/c blue, w/c black, silver laced, and buff. Are these chicks w/c black or blue? Im thinking w/c black, am I right?

Thats what it looks like to me.

There could be a DARK wcb in there, but I doubt it.

Nice looking chicks!!
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks...kinda bums me out. I so wanted something other then w/c black since I already have one. These are going to have to find new homes. I am really interested in keeping a separate polish pen, but I am finding it hard to get the variety to come my way. I guess I will concentrate my efforts on finding some laced come spring. My fertility rates with shipped eggs hasn't been great.

Yeah, I see that, but I have had splash babies with that yellow on them and they still turn out splash. I think some of the white fluff just is that color.

If you don't want either of those chicks I will take them off your hands!

PM me if you are serious about giving them away. I live in California, so we'd have to ship but hopefully we can work it out?

Quote:
Polish eggs really don't ship well, the air sacks seem to break easier than other eggs. They really need to be packaged so that they can't move at all and even then, sometimes they don't do well. If I get 2 to hatch out of a batch I buy, I have done good.

Quote:
Polish eggs really don't ship well, the air sacks seem to break easier than other eggs. They really need to be packaged so that they can't move at all and even then, sometimes they don't do well. If I get 2 to hatch out of a batch I buy, I have done good.

Yep I agree, it's not fertility, so many people blame it on that, it's their ability to survive the rigours of shipping. If the aircell gets ruptured, they will candle out looking like infertile eggs. Next batch, candle them on arrival. Look close at the big end where the air cell is located. If you dont see the line where the cell is, and see tiny bubbles floating there the shell, it got scrambled. If the membrane is intact just sloppy, kind of rolls with you as you move the egg, these will still have a shot at hatching, but the ruptured ones might as well be tossed then, they'll never do any thing.
Also, I'd have to say, after hatching 1000's of the little buggers, they both apear to be wc blues, the darker one may be a black, but I dont think so....

Good luck, you may want to look around and find some breeders who ship chicks too, lots easier that way. We still have bantams wc blues and wc blacks, a few black crested whites, but they dont breed true yet. We just got rid of all our laced birds, but can get you some contact info for some if interested...
Aubrey

Back
Top Bottom