Polish Bantam -destressed after getting lost

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ldskinner78, Dec 6, 2018 at 3:54 AM.

1. ldskinner78

ldskinner78 Hatching

Thursday
    South Uist
    Hi there, .One of our Polish Bantam's got lost 2 days ago, thankfully we were able to locate him. However he is now remaining in his house and has not been out and about the garden with his pals.
    Just looking for advice or suggestions to help him gain his confidence back.
    Thanks in advance .

2. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Crowing

Nov 2, 2018
    Maybe give him a few days, that’s what I’ve found helps

3. Shadrach

Shadrach Crowing

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Hello Idskinner78
    Welcome to BYC.
    I don't think there is much you can do. Perhaps keep him company when you can but other than that I would think it's a matter of time.

ldskinner78 and Callender Girl like this.
  4. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Songster

Sep 18, 2018
    I agree that time is probably the answer. One of my hens saw three of her coop mates slaughtered by a mink last winter, and Honey refused to leave her high roost (likely the reason she survived while the others scattered on the ground) for days.

The good news is that she finally felt safe again, and by this fall she had accepted a pair of chickens from another coop into her home. She, Celeste and Camille are pals now, and you would never know that she was traumatized.

I did try to spend extra time with her and fed her grapes as treats to give her something else to think about (yes, I believe her little brain processes some deep thoughts).

Welcome to BYC; it's a good place to find answers and hang out with people who understand that a distressed chicken can mean a distressed chicken owner!!

5. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Crowing

Nov 2, 2018
    I had a similar thing happen to my hens, 3 chickens got killed by a fox earlier this year. They were all traumatised for at least 1 week later

Callender Girl and ldskinner78 like this.
  6. ldskinner78

ldskinner78 Hatching

Thursday
    South Uist
    Thank you Everyone for sharing their thoughts and techniques.
    With some extra TLC; I secured Panda and pals during a storm yesterday and today he is out and about with his pals once again!!
    Pic: Panda is the Black and White one with his Pal Fraggle

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: