Polish chicken who isn't smart enough to get out of the rain

Must Be Losing It

Lost It
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
Uxbridge MA
One of my little polish chicks (well, a large chick) does not seem to be smart enough to stay out of the torrential downpours we've had lately. When I was putting them to bed last night I noticed his head feathers are all spikey and dirty and his skin below the feathers is looking very red.

Could this be from getting wet or is this something else?

I keep a very clean coop/pen, dust w/ DE regularly and have no signs of lice or mites.

wee.gif
My chickens love the rain...
wee.gif

...but no red marks to show for it....

Last edited:
If the chick is just getting new adult feathers on the top of it's head, sometimes it is red and bumpy looking. Could this be the case, instead of the rain?

LOL my pullets are stupid too, it poured down today and their tail feathers were all droopy and wet, so I put a large plastic dog crate out there with a towel and feed in it for them.... they all stood outside it, looking at the feed, and craning their necks squawking to each other like they were discussing the crate.

I can not keep my chickens in the barn when it rains !!!
They run around flapping thier wings and drinking from the ground.
The silkies are the worst, they just seem to really like getting wet.
A few go for the worms and bugs that get washed up and the others just run around like thier a bunch of idiots.
Sounds like a chicken to me.
As far as the red spots, it could be flushing. Where did this wives tale come from that chickens drowned themselves in the rain ? ? No drownings here !!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom