polish color help!

sunket77

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Texas Hill Country!
these are from Ideal (feed store) they carry Black Crested White, Buff Laced, Golden Laced, Silver Laced, White Crested Blue Polish and White Crested Black Polish, from what I can tell from their website. Going on that ... well... now that the chicks are feathering out I really can't tell what they are. Also, I thought they where bantam b/c they where in with assorted bantams, but Ideal only seem to sell standard polish, but going on the size of the chicks they sure seem small. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK??? HELP!
idunno.gif

I thought this one was a golden lace but it's feathers are not laced...
0310001816.jpg

I though this would be a buff laced but no lacing here either just a light buff color
0310001821.jpg

I wasn't sure what this one would be but there is obvious lacing going on but it sure doesn't look like a silver laced chick
0310001823.jpg

it also has a wing issue one seems to be growing faster than the other looks quite odd
0310001825.jpg

The top one is indeed a gold laced - Often they don't look laced until a month or two later.

The others look buff laced to me. The dark lacing may lighten as the chick matures.

BUT, since they are from Ideal, they may be experiment colors to. I know Ideal has been working on a lot of weird cross breeding with their polish to try and make new colors.

# - 1 "Gold Laced"
# - 2 "Buff Laced"
# - 3 "Silver Laced"
# - 4 "Silver Laced"

Being there from a hatchery there lacing isn't going to be true or all that good as you can see in the bird in picture 2 and it not having lacing at all.

Chris

Doesn't the difference in the wing feathers that you asked mean it is female? I have several like that in my new batch, sure hope that is what it means
big_smile.png

In my experience, the lacing comes "true" with the second set of feathers or "adult" feathers. I had a whole batch of Sl polish that didn't get their true lacing until about 6 months old. They looked more like a sloppy barring than anything.

I have heard that males feather faster than females... but I meant one of the wings is growing faster than the other also seems to be turning upward. .. I can see how you took it that way though!
big_smile.png
I just love polish and probably shoud have gone to a breeder but I don't think there are any near here that have polish. I wonder and it might be a stupid question if you can (through selective breeding) eventually get a show quality bird out of hatchery birds??
hu.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom